Grandfathered BCBS plan discontinued, new offer major increase

just a guy

I was on a grandfathered pre-marketplace plan. Current premium was up to a little over $500, I had dental added to it too (yearly cost of it equaled right at a yearly dental exam anyway). $1500 deductible and out of pocket, hit that, 100% covered, office visits, emergency, meds, etc. I thought it was very good coverage. They are ending that, now offering "Armor". I got a call, my new premium would be $2400/month, just by myself, $2500 deductible. Letter is coming with more options, but different deductibles don't make much difference.

Marketplace offers one carrier as far as I can see, Medica. Plans are higher, which I expect, deductibles are much higher. Co pays, and what not. I've never been with anything but BCBS. I don't really like moving to a plan that doesn't look as good as what I have on initial inspection. I also don't like not really having a choice to compare the company to, but looks like about my only practical option. Does anyone know of any other options for "decent" coverage before I make a commitment? Some around here are talking about some sort of cost sharing type Christian group plan thing, I don't know the details (and I wouldn't really qualify...). They said there was a letter sent out in June to warn of this, I never got it (checked USPS informed delivery, not there).

Thanks.

tl;dr, brief health and situation info below here (Armor says premium based on history)

I'm 42, single, no kids. Was rarely going to doctor, no major issues when I went (blood pressure ok, blood tests ok, etc.). Around 190 lbs and 5'11". I had a little surgery on my hands and an arm last year to try fixing issues (pain, hands falling asleep at night, usage issues, fell on one hand a couple years before, had it checked right away, wasn't broken but still bothers). This year, trying to get to the bottom of continuing pain, the doctors had me go in for 3 different MRIs, which found arthritis, and on one hand, cysts in between the wrist small bones (nothing to do). I'm not on medication, won't take pain medication if offered (I've refused it, had a bottle after my surgery, didn't take it, it's more than a little pain continuing, but would rather deal with that than medication). Never smoked, drank, or chewed at all.

I raise cattle, gross income too high for health subsidy, cattle are often sold at a loss, so net is in the red (as with much of agriculture in some years). Not to mention, there is no possible way to know yearly income beforehand, cattle are sold at auction whenever I can, once or twice a year, and as ridiculous as the whole system is, prices can go up or down with anything. Town is 30 miles away, jobs there are cashiers, no corporate, 2 stoplights total there, don't really know of much of anything with major benefits, no possible way for another job anyway, without selling everything I have, not enough hours in the day to do what I need as it is, takes more than all daylight hours and beyond to keep up now (which is typical). Plus, I don't see doing anything else anyway.

Caveat: Not an agent.

You might find an HSA eligible Bronze plan plus an HSA to be of benefit to you.

The following runs against forum advice I have received, but we are using a local credit union for readily accessible HSA funds. (in the more rural area you are describing, you may not be able to find a credit union offering HSA services.)

For 2020 HSA contribution, I am going to discuss using Lake Michigan Credit Union's self investment HSA program with my wife.

@CHBS you still around? Were you commenting about U65 market, and if so do you have any comments that would help this person?

Probably posted this in the wrong section, I mod alerted.

Why don't you call an agent in your state to discuss options?
The agent in town offers BCBS (choice is what I mentioned), Medica, and short term. I figure asking people that deal with it to get informed prior to discussion is better, otherwise, what's the point of a forum? My other choice was randomly googling stuff, which I will also do, but asking advice could narrow the search a bit.
Caveat: Not an agent.

You might find an HSA eligible Bronze plan plus an HSA to be of benefit to you.

The following runs against forum advice I have received, but we are using a local credit union for readily accessible HSA funds. (in the more rural area you are describing, you may not be able to find a credit union offering HSA services.)

For 2020 HSA contribution, I am going to discuss using Lake Michigan Credit Union's self investment HSA program with my wife.
Thanks for all that, and I see the "responses" you got to your post. The plan that I'm losing was HSA. I talked a fair bit with the rep when he called, but I'll see what the letter says when I get it. I'll read through everything, got research to do. Not really a good time to be dealing with this on top of everything else.

You’re not going to find your plan anywhere near that premium anymore. I’m dreading the day that my grandfathered plan ends.
if it does, I doubt I’ll look at a cost sharing plan. I don’t trust them.
I would probably look at a short term medical plan, good for 3 years or just a bronze ACA plan. I’m 39, single no kids.

Again, remember I am neither an insurance agent or a tax preparer. (and note: I am on medicare-my wife is not.)

Some additional comments I thought of.

I tried to look for some brochures this morning. I found something for bright health (another 2020 option you will have) but (as just a consumer) I apparently can't see a 2020 Medica brochure until tomorrow.

One thing I remembered last night about the ACA plans, If you do choose to go with an ACA plan and your income allows you to qualify for tax subsidies, you will need to have your enrollment go through the exchange to be able to qualify for the tax benefits. I haven't the knowledge to advise you on that, you need to discuss that with your tax preparer and ins agent.

I also found something else you can check out.

This happened in Kansas:
Kansas to let Farm Bureau health coverage avoid ACA rules

With that concept as a search suggestion, I found this older article in regard to NE:
Nebraska Farm Bureau Works to Lower Health Costs for Farmers and Ranchers; Unveils New Large Group Association Health Plan

If that project is still in effect for 2020, perhaps it would help you.

Here is your answer-go to www.healthsherpa.com, plug in your zip code, put in 100,000 as income so no subsidy applies, and there should be plans in the $500-$600 range that will be about the same as your current grandfathered plan.

You can't get an STM (nor is it appropriate) for you with the issues you've had in the past couple of years.

Back