Grant money

stepinf8th

I have a friend telling me because I am a woman I can get grant money to start my agency. I have looked online and see that some sites say yes you can and others say no you can't. Anyone out there done this before or can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Christy

As a guy, I have no experience in womanly things.....
Check with the SBA, I'm sure it's through them. I've known several companies to be woman owned, even though they didn't participate in the business, just to work this type of angle. I do think there are some geographical restrictions, and restrictions on the type of business, but I really don't know much about it. It's been 10 years since I've even heard of this. Hopefully, we don't discriminate like this anymore :)

Dan

Christy, I seriously doubt in this day and age that they can discriminate because of gender unless it's some privately funded organization that was founded by a male chauvinist pig.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have no idea what grants are out there. Google "grant scams" and see all the issues of what not to do. Be careful. Who knows, maybe you will find the right place.

I have been involved in charities going after grants. It is quite a detailed process.

I have a friend telling me because I am a woman I can get grant money to start my agency. I have looked online and see that some sites say yes you can and others say no you can't. Anyone out there done this before or can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Christy

Has your friend sought out financing for his or her company? I do know that their are grants and loans available for "certain" types of businesses, although I couldn't find anything related to insurance or financial services. Contact the SBA and SCORE and see what you find out.

Thanks everyone except Fostever! You know if I wanted sarcasm Fostever I would have asked for it. I am not a Hillary fan, and don't appreciate you assuming because I want to know about grants and I am a woman that I am looking to lord over men like that useless woman affiliated with a party know as the ASS. All I am looking for is ways to start my business and have help doing it.

To answer the other questions, it is a drawn out process, but I have been told today by a lawyer friend that it is possible. My friend that mentioned it owns a non-profit and her rules are different. The government gives lots of money to those. There are women owned business' that give grants to other women starting a business as well as state grants available. As for discrimination, I don't think that applies. However we have less women owned business' and they are more successful than men's according to statistics on the SBA (no offense guys). That is why we are considered a minority business owner and that is the way the lawyer said I need to play this out. Again thank for the input.

If the government does, I think it's B.S. However, if I could get the grant, I would do it.

I have heard that women get special incentives to own a business. I know that there was a local dealership out here that the owner put in his wife's name to get some breaks.

I too have heard of grants for start up businesses, but I have also heard you will have to make sure it is legit as there are a lot of scams out there.

Keep us posted on how it works for you!

Back