Great Depression

ABC

Guru
1000 Post Club
I am feeling the effects of the poor economy.

Lost a group today that went to a self funded product even through that don't have the cash flow to fund the claims.
They have fixed cost + claims and the fixed cost look great but its a blue collar group that has on going claims. I fear it will bankrupt them but they told me if they don't get business by 3rd quarter they will be bankrupt anyways.

Had a meeting on Friday where with some plan changes I was able to reduce the premium by 46%. Along with that a change in contribution from the employer which reduced the cost significantly. Owner tells me it does not matter he is 2 months behind on rent on one of his locations. He canceled the group plan.

Blue collar out fit that had 30+ employees is down to 4 within 3 months. They are expecting to bounce back but they are associated with the auto industry.

Have a group where there over all sales have dropped 80%.
They had multiple locations combined were doing $20+mill a year in sales. Owners have left the company and taken jobs while they try to rebuild company. wtf!

Its tough to sell benefits as an investment into employees when the employees are lucky just to have an income.

If anyone has something creative to say to keep benefits in place I am all ears.

Oh yeah, this will make all the ObamaDifference:

"Increasing college affordability for 7 million students by funding the shortfall in Pell Grants and increasing the maximum award level by $500. "

I think I'm going to throw up.

I think now is the time to pitch mini-meds to groups of employees. i know someone who is making a killing off of it. now i know most people dont like mini-meds, but if it helps keep you employed or gives you benefits if you cant have em due to cost or uninsurability, then by all means, sign em up. dont forget theres over 45 million uninsured people in america. Better to have them on a minimed than tax payers dollar$

"Obamaman has a plan"

and the plan before WAS??????

It's fine you don't like the guy, but realize WHERE this problem came from.. quit b itching about the guys that are at least trying to fix it.

My business is down too. Small companies are folding. That said, I rather see them take a little time to make sure the money going out into the economy makes it there, rather than just becoming more bonuses for a holes that don't deserve it.

No I'm not a kool aid drinker, I at least realized whom ever was elected was going to oversee the worst economy since the big D.

All I can suggest if your group business is struggling is come back to the high deductible stuff, if they weren't there already. Also try to stay in touch with employees and let them know you can help with individual coverage. They aren't great answers, but these aren't great times either.

I guess that would depend on your definition of "related".

Inquiring minds want to know!

I did see Al Pacino in Central Park (yes that would be NYC for those of you from Rio Lindo) and was absolutely shocked at how short he appeared to be - IMDB has him at 5'7" but I would say that's with heels.

Back