Greetings!

Hello everyone!

I'm just getting started in P&C insurance here in Arizona. I'm curious to know what advice or pointers the more seasoned producers here may have to offer. My first few weeks seemed to go well and I managed to close a few deals, but since then I haven't had as much success. I'm on my second month, so of course there's still a lot of room to grow. I have a great mentor and work with an amazing group, so I'm grateful for my situation, though, with those benefits, I find that I'm often comparing myself to people who have been in the field for much longer and who have much more experience than myself.

So what did your first couple of months look like? How long did it take you to get a more steady flow of business?

Any advice or stories you all may want to offer, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

There is a lot of learning, not just the first months, but the first years. It takes time to get a handle on how insurance works, as well as to build your reputation.

I focused on commercial, and eventually became commercial only. It's better in almost every way, except it takes longer to learn, and furthermore, some people simply aren't cut out for it.

I know I am a broken record with this, but the single best thing I did was learn how to properly ask for referrals. Not "Uh, you know anybody that might wanna talk about insurance?". I mean really learn how to do it properly. Watch videos, read articles, map our a plan. If you do it properly, it will be the single most valuable thing you do. It has been for me.

Hey Mark,

Thank you for the response. At this time, I do not believe I will be able to focus on commercial lines. I do find the commercial aspect intriguing, but I am not sure it fits into the plan that my manager has for me. All things come eventually though, and I am definitely eager to get into that arena.

I will look more into asking for referrals, because I do believe that will be a very important aspect for me. Are there any particular videos you would recommend?

Thanks for the shout-out @Markthebroker . I'm not convinced that I would be helpful in the P&C arena only because I see it as a commodity. I'm sure it isn't... but I am not licensed in that arena and don't understand the various nuances. (I'm a life insurance and annuity guy.)

The video you posted is a GREAT one - one of the best FREE resources out there. To spend a little money, I often recommend Sandy Schussel's referral training... but I see it being beneficial if you're doing a true fact-find or discovery session.

It's only $37, but it may be helpful.
www.sandyschussel.com/products

I think for P&C, one of the best books you can read would be "The Wedge". Now it's been over 10 years since I read it, but the best word you can use in a commodity world... is to use the word 'compete' - as in "I would like to compete for your business."

Here's the author's page on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Randy-Schwantz/e/B001KILXWU/

Back