Group Benefits or Commercial P&C

GoingIndy

Expert
I've been in the P&C world for 10+ years and was presented an opportunity to move over to Group Benefits. Just want to get some input from people on whether or not you think it's worth exploring or if the real money is in Commercial P&C. I've done mostly Personal Lines so the Commercial side would be new to me as well but at least familiar whereas the Benefits is completely new. Any input is appreciated.

The key question is would you feel comfortable and confident in setting an appointment and calling on an owner or president of a small to mid-size company? If the answer is yes.....there are "new" niches out there that can grab an owner's attention if you are capable of getting an audience with them.

I've been in the P&C world for 10+ years and was presented an opportunity to move over to Group Benefits. Just want to get some input from people on whether or not you think it's worth exploring or if the real money is in Commercial P&C. I've done mostly Personal Lines so the Commercial side would be new to me as well but at least familiar whereas the Benefits is completely new. Any input is appreciated.

With your P&C background, the logical move is to the commercial P&C. For a benefits move, it's going to depend on what kind of benefits and the size of your agency.

The Affordable Care Act has changed health insurance and it's harder for a smaller agency to provide the support larger clients might need. If you go into benefits with health insurance as your focus, I'd make sure your agency has the support you'll need. For smaller health plans, I've heard of agents not even getting paid by the carrier.

If you go into benefits that are on the voluntary side, that's a little different but to me voluntary benefits seem a lot less labor intensive to me than commercial P&C.

NOTE: The commission structure is front end loaded on a lot of the voluntary products and not level like P&C.

Back