Group Carriers

I just found out something interesting. I was told by my regional manager today that I have no ability to write any type of group policies.....Coming out of the business field that I am in I feel that I have some group business that I could write, with the contacts that I have. But no group policies.

I have United American, Assurant, Mutal Of Ohama(bunch of there stuff)

This is a 2 part question.

#1 Even though I am signed with FARHC can I sign and sell someone that offers group coverages?

#2 If so whom are some companies to look into for that purpose?

Thanks In Advance,

Not sure what you are asking here.

By "no ability", does that mean your manager thinks you can't do it or is it just that he won't get an override and doesn't want you to focus on things that won't put money in his pocket?

Assurant is in the group market. UA is not and I don't believe MOO is unless they still work the self funded groups.

There are other carriers who are in the small, and large, group market.

Group business generally takes a long time to cultivate and get paid. Everything is as earned and the real plus of the group business is in the steady renewal income.

As a rookie agent, if you want to write group do it as you come upon it. Don't make it your focus unless you have deep pockets to float you for at least 6 - 12 months.

Thanks I apperciate your feedback. I am not going to use it as main production for me. As far as writing he doesn't mean I don't have the abilty but we don't have the policies to write for group.

But with your comment it looks like it is there in Assurant. I must be missing something.

Did you sign a non compete clause?

I will agree that group has a much longer sales cycle. Even on groups under 10 lives it usually takes me atleast 90 days to close. Now there are exceptions.

Back