group for insurance agent

johnrocks

Guru
100+ Post Club
Louisiana
I have been beseiged by health problems the past few months that has cost me a small fortune. Being overweight I could not get indivual and like a lot of other 40ish people I thought I had time to get right. Anyway gambled and lost My question is what kind of set-up do I need to put together to get group. I am an indy selling senior, no employees,no spouse,just me and my obese chihuahua. any ideas would be appreciated for I know absoloutly nothing about group

The first step that you need to take is to find out if your state allows groups of one. Assuming that they do, and this is by no means a given, you need to establish yourself as a legitimate organization. You can form an LLC, or a corp, and most of that can be done online.

I assume I can go online to the Louisiana state Dept. of Ins. and find this out, anyway gives me a starting point. Thanks

It may be my only recourse besides high risk pool which is pretty expensive and the caps seem low besides it seems that maybe I could get say a full time office manager/appointment maker and a lot of this would have tax advantages or am I wrong

It may be my only recourse besides high risk pool which is pretty expensive and the caps seem low besides it seems that maybe I could get say a full time office manager/appointment maker and a lot of this would have tax advantages or am I wrong

I'm sure you are right about the tax advantages but I don't know specifically.

I don't know anything about the high risk pool in LA. Since I am primarily in the MA market insurability isn't a question I deal with very often unless it's someone who wants a Medigap. I don't sell much individual major med because I haven't really gone after that business yet. But I do know that probably at least 2/3 if not 3/4 of the people who have contacted me about individual coverage have not been able to buy for health reasons like diabetes, etc.

What I do run into all the time is low income people (but not low enough for Medicaid) who go to the LSU/Charity hospitals and clinics, but of course that's a LA thing that probably only you and I will be familiar with. (For the others, the charity hospitals in LA are a relic of the Huey Long days in the 1930's.)

Just be careful. State laws vary. In MD you cannot form a company just to obtain group insurance. Say 5 uninsured cancer patients get together and actually established a legitimate company. No go. You're not gonna want to form a company on Monday, get group on Tuesday they file a major claim. Doesn't work that way.

as far as charity been there done that but based on income so still cost(not complaining) went there because easier to deal with than private hosp. if you don't have ins.

I know it sounds like I am trying to "cheat the system" . not wanting to get in trouble just looking at my options which do not appear to be that plentiful.

as far as charity been there done that but based on income so still cost(not complaining) went there because easier to deal with than private hosp. if you don't have ins.

If you make too much money charity may be almost expensive as a private hospital depending on what you're going for. A friend was very ill with the flu a few years ago and she didn't have insurance. Her roommate drove her to charity and based on what they did, I guessed that she could have come off cheaper (or at least no worse) at a private hospital's ER with probably a shorter wait, and she didn't make that much $$ at the time.

Back