Group Health Agents...selling 'Ancilliary?'

Mike Siegal

Guru
100+ Post Club
Hi Friends,

GROUP BENEFIT SALES Reps...are you selling 'ancillary' policies?

So i talked to a Coach-Consultant today and (other than his pitch) i heard that Selling Ancillary products is different than selling Group Health/Benefits.

???

MY THINKING was 'how can this be...don't group health agents push Ancillary benefits as well???

He claims 'Most Don't.'

I don't know squat about the Group Benefits Market but before i sign on to work with this guy, i wanna know if this sounds legit...???

Anyone know if 'Group Health Reps' (typically) don't push Ancillary Products?

Thanks for your input...

Yes, if you are writing "group benefits" its just like it sounds. Group benefits include health, dental, vision, life, STD, LTD and maybe work site. I would advise you to get a coach that has actually played the game.

Yes, if you are writing "group benefits" its just like it sounds. Group benefits include health, dental, vision, life, STD, LTD and maybe work site. I would advise you to get a coach that has actually played the game.

Yes...but that's not the question.

The 'guru' says that 'ancillary benefits' are not typically sold by 'group agents' ...is this TRUE?

What is your definition of ancillary benefits?

They are usually quoted as a multiplier of daily benefits provided by the hospital.
  • -Cancer Policies
  • -long term disability
  • -Hospital Indemnity plans
  • -universal life insurance (more sophisticated brands of life insurance)
  • -Anything NON-'Obama ACA health plans'

So the Question remains (i don't know how much of a expert this guy really is). His pitch is really to sell 'Ancillary' Benefits...and not Health Plans.

Yes...but that's not the question.

The 'guru' says that 'ancillary benefits' are not typically sold by 'group agents' ...is this TRUE?
A lot of them don't.. There is also a market for selling ancillary plans to companies that do not have group health.. On the other hand, most payroll deduction agents do not sell group health. :)

A lot of them don't.. There is also a market for selling ancillary plans to companies that do not have group health.. On the other hand, most payroll deduction agents do not sell group health. :)

There was (at one time) a rumor that Paychex and others would sell group but i never saw that happen. They sold Plenty of Workers Comp though....

There was (at one time) a rumor that Paychex and others would sell group but i never saw that happen. They sold Plenty of Workers Comp though....
As far as paychex, it is not a rumor. Problem is the comp for the paycheck rep, the company comps them very little for non-payroll business.

As far as paychex, it is not a rumor. Problem is the comp for the paycheck rep, the company comps them very little for non-payroll business.

No Kidding...Paychex (cheap a** company)?

well...My guess is their group benefits department is not competitive.

There is no money in bs products like “ancillary” unless you are pressure selling a hard working guy to buy shit he does not need. (Aflac & Colonial)

Back