Group Health Coverage + Mapd?????????

yabadabadoo1026

Guru
100+ Post Club
yesterday I come across a man no longer working via disability who says he has cigna coverage thru this union and also a Cigna -Healthspring Mapd and between the both of them paying no medical bills, ie one acting as the secondary to the other??????????

Puzzled by this as I though a group plan will only work as a secondary with traditional Medicare??????????? Likewise I was of the thinking that upon enrollment with the mapd it would have killed the cigna employer plan???????

Can someone set me straight on this cause what he is telling me is a "headscratcher" for sure unless my understanding of it all is wrong

Pretty sure Mcare (MAPD in this case) is primary and the union plan secondary. Union plans aren't typical employer group plans. Most are self funded and have different eligibility rules vs a traditional group plan.

. Your employer or union may offer retiree coverage for you and/or your spouse that limits how much it will pay. It might only provide "stop loss" coverage, which starts paying your out-of-pocket costs only when they reach a maximum amount.

https://www.medicare.gov/supplement-other-insurance/retiree-insurance/retiree-insurance.html

yesterday I come across a man no longer working via disability who says he has cigna coverage thru this union and also a Cigna -Healthspring Mapd and between the both of them paying no medical bills, ie one acting as the secondary to the other??????????

Puzzled by this as I though a group plan will only work as a secondary with traditional Medicare??????????? Likewise I was of the thinking that upon enrollment with the mapd it would have killed the cigna employer plan???????

Can someone set me straight on this cause what he is telling me is a "headscratcher" for sure unless my understanding of it all is wrong

Could be his retiree plan coordinates with MA.few and far between do but always worth a call to prospects HR/Retiree benefits dept. to find out.

Back