Group Life Providers

I'm a new agent in Maryland and have a company interested in getting a Group Life plan. They already have Health and don't want to change that. Company has 10 full-time employees and wants a $50K benefit on each.

These are some very basic "newbie" questions, but I hope someone can help me. In shopping this through my company's typical "shoppers", what sorts of things should I expect? I've found that some health providers like UHC will give quotes for standalone Group Life with no Health component. Are these the sorts of providers I should typically be expecting to see for this product? I was expecting more of the traditional "Life" names I'm accustomed to to start showing up--your Transamericas and Genworths, etc. Am I net casting a wide enough net if those names aren't showing up?

Again, very basic stuff, but I just don't know what to be looking for, and I'm not getting what I expected. Can anyone provide some guidance?

I would add in Principal Financial Group, Mutual of Omaha, and UNUM to the list as well. You can go direct with all 3. I can give you contacts if you like.

What about prudential, I see a lot of group life with them?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Pardon my ignorance, but who is UNUM?

Last edited:
No, not irrational. They did have their issues in the 90's. I have spoken to some very large groups that have UNUM, though.

I've been thinking about sending a few groups to Benefitmall but I'm not sure if I want to do that or go direct.

Back