H06 Temporary Housing Claim Denied

h22lude

Hi all, my townhouse has water damage from ice dams. Ice collected on the roof, melted and leaked into my unit. The master policy is paying for movers to move us into an apartment or hotel and then back into the townhouse when the reno is completed and paying for all the repairs. They aren't paying for temporary housing. I put in a claim to my insurance (Progressive) and they denied it. The claim agent said because the damage was from the outside and not from weight of the ice, they won't pay it out. I know other unit owners got their claim approved from other companies (one neighbor I know about has Met Life). I called Geico to get a quote for a new policy and the agent said they definitely cover this exact claim and they have even put some through this year. The agent said H06 policies are generic and all companies cover the same stuff so Progressive should cover this.

My thinking is, they want me to go back to the master insurance to have them pay for it so they don't have to. What can I do to have Progressive pay this out? I asked the agent to have her manager call me which she obviously hasn't done yet. I also talked to the general contractor who is doing the work and he wanted her info so he can talk to her. He was the one that helped the other unit owners with their claim.

Back