Half of Virginia Will Have Zero Options

Discussion in 'Health Care Reform Forum' started by dgoldenz, Sep 12, 2017.

1. dgoldenz

dgoldenz Moderator Moderator

Optima was originally going to take over the counties that Anthem exited, now they changed their mind:

After insurer departures, 70,000 Virginians will not be able to purchase health coverage in 2018 | Business | roanoke.com

2. Josh

Josh Guru

State:
    Virginia
    This is on the IFPs, right? Presumably someone with a small business would still be able to get coverage or no?

3. scagnt83

scagnt83 Guru

State:
    South Carolina
    This is only for IFP. A small business can get a group plan from multiple different carriers provided they have enough employees to make a group. In SC all you need is 2 full-time employees ... other states it can be different. Idk if VA allows 2man groups or not.

4. yorkriver1

yorkriver1 Guru

Word is they are asking for 81% or so rate increase in the areas where they will still operate. They lost enrollees last year to Anthem due to cost. I fear that those who have sticker shock will just drop coverage, those who can't do that will be in the spiral. How could things be much different for the very ill from the state pools that lost money. Some carriers are supporting "individual states making their own plans". Would like to see suggestions for that.

5. dgoldenz

dgoldenz Moderator Moderator

Well I guess Anthem is back....sort of:

6. Dave020

Dave020 Super Moderator Moderator

State:
    California
    Word on Twitter is that the VA Governor stepped in.

7. Sherota1

Sherota1 Super Genius

8. mcd

mcd Expert

I still have not received any info on any plan offerings in Albemarle County as well as a number of others.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  9. yorkriver1

yorkriver1 Guru

Any county/city with a Sentara hospital group facility in Virginia is to have coverage available through Optima, as I was informed. If an agent is not now appointed with Optima for individual plans, they won't have the ability to sell them. Agents currently appointed with Optima will be able to sell Optima plans. I believe Albemarle County (Charlottesville) is one of the Optima areas.

10. mcd

mcd Expert

Yep! I have figured all of this out since my previous post. Maybe I'll go to Hawaii in November now.