Handling Discouragement

Labman

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
How do you guys handle it? Some days I do okay with not getting any results from cold calling, but other days it just really gets to me. I'm trying my best to find positive ways to make this cold calling biz fun, but the lack of reward seems to get the best of me.

How do you guys handle it? Some days I do okay with not getting any results from cold calling, but other days it just really gets to me. I'm trying my best to find positive ways to make this cold calling biz fun, but the lack of reward seems to get the best of me.

It looks like you've answered your own question.

If something is not effective, why do you continue to do it?

Feeling better now, just got an appointment!:D:D

I'm a results driven guy, I want every phone call to result in an appointment. Crazy, I know.:D

Push your good days and don't push your bad days. If you make a big sale it can get you up for many hours. For me, it's easier to keep going when I am in this state of mind. On days like this 10 hours may be in order. If you are having a terrible day, I think the worst thing you can do is to keep pushing though it, because this can lead to burn out and disaster.

It's like working out with weights in the gym. Some days you don't have it so back off.

This business is mostly about not giving up. We are all going to have our bad days and everyone on here has at one time or another thought about giving up.

Also, I recommend that you do more then just cold calling. Try a couple of things at once.

I can't help but think of it like fishing. Maybe you need to change locations or bait.

You may want to review what you are saying when cold calling. Have you ever recorded a call and then play it back to hear what the prospect actually hears what you are saying? Most agents are really surprised when they actually hear what they say as opposed to how they think they are saying it.

When listening, pay attention to all the opportunities you give the prospect to voice an objection like "I'm not interested". When that happens you lose control of the conversation and the prospect gains control. Once the prospect has control of the conversation it is going to be difficult to get it back.

Most of the time when the call doesn't go the way the agent hoped it would it is the agents fault for relinquishing control.

Make calling a contest between you and the prospect. The winner is the one who has control of the conversation.

No, it isn't done by talking fast or talking over the prospect. The best way is to make it sound like a relaxed conversation just like one you may have with a friend.

Yeah,What they said. I prefer to just remember what it was like at other jobs I've had. Dealing with the public guarantees a case or two of the red a** at times. I will say in "final expense". That its the most unpredictable business I've worked! I'm not trying to set any records. Just pay bills and save a little for the supposed golden years. Some weeks I'll work 10 or 12 twelve leads and write my goal. Some weeks it seems I can't give a policy away! Will say though, In my short time here.That there has yet to be a week go by where I've spent a least 3 days in field working. Six to 8 hours,calling going by or whatever. Not on here or b s'n with any other form of ............well( B S). That I haven't made great money. Especially compared the other stuff I've done.

I'm really starting to think this stuff sells itself. Like fishing you just having to be in the right place at the right time. Only way to do that is keep fishing!

In my area (and many sales-oriented occupations) there is a lot of negativity. I deal with a lot of angry (lost their job), sick (not their fault most of the time), older (well, consider the alternative), financially injured (how is YOUR 401K today?) and basically scared, lonely people who find the glass half empty. Indeed, it is easy for agents and other salespeople to "assimilate " some of this pessimism. This is why only those who have a positive attitude and a good sense of humor are able to last in this or any sales, business. When was the last time you met a "sourpuss" sales person?

I try to remember the following story when I get discouraged.

A woman was at her hairdresser's getting her hair styled for a trip to Rome with her husband. She mentioned the trip to the hairdresser, who responded:

" Rome ? Why would anyone want to go there? It's crowded and dirty. You're crazy to go to Rome. So, how are you getting there?"

"We're taking Continental." was the reply. "We got a great rate!"

"Continental?" exclaimed the hairdresser. "That's a terrible airline. Their planes are old, their flight attendants are ugly, and they're always late. So, where are you staying in Rome?"

"We'll be at this exclusive little place ove r on Rome's Tiber River called Teste."

"Don't go any further. I know that place. Everybody thinks it's gonna be something special and exclusive, but it's really a dump."

"We're going to go to see the Vatican and maybe get to see the Pope."

"That's rich," laughed the hairdresser. "You and a million other people trying to see him. He'll look the size of an ant. Boy, good luck on this lousy trip of yours. You're going to need it."

A month later, the woman again came in for a hairdo. The hairdresser asked her about her trip to Rome .

"It was wonderful," explained the woman, "not only were we on time in one of Continental's brand new planes, but it was overbooked, and they bumped us up to first class. The food and wine were wonderful, and I had a handsome 28-year-old steward who waited on me hand and foot. And the hotel was great! They'd just finished a $5 million remodeling job, and now it's a jewel, the finest hotel in the city. They, too, were overbooked, so they apologized and gave us their owner's suite at no extra charge!"

"Well," muttered the hairdresser, "that's all well and good, but I know you didn't get to see the Pope."

"Actually, we were quite lucky, because as we toured the Vatican, a Swiss Guard tapped me on the shoulder, and explained that the Pope likes to meet some of the visitors, and if I'd be so kind as to step into his private room and wait, the Pope would personally greet me. Sure enough, five minutes later, the Pope walked through the door and shook my hand! I knelt down and he spoke a few words to me."

"Oh, really! What'd he say?"

He said: "Who f---ed up your hair?"

Al
InsuranceSolutions123 Agency

Correct me if I'm wrong but,didn't a fella named C CLEMENT STONE! Start his insurance career around our last depression?

Back