Has Anybody Used Telemedicine As an Alternative to Giving Copays?

wave828

Expert
I came across a company that provides telemedicine services to people that also pays agent commissions (small advance, as earned after). They also have a hierarchy program built for paying agency commissions

Has anybody used a program like this to sell major med or mini-meds policies without doctor office visits?

E.g. Enroll the client into a high-deductible health plan that doesn't have a copay for office visits but then also enrolls the client into the telemedicine service to give them access to doctor's visits via email or phone.

The website/company I found is www.accessadoctor.com. They had a webinar that talked about the program and it sounded pretty good...included a few side benefits like a blood profile and patient advocacy.

What do you think about this approach for clients who are looking to save money on their premiums?

Thanks!

Re: Has Anybody Used Telemedicine As an Alternative to Giving Cop

I came across a company that provides telemedicine services to people that also pays agent commissions (small advance, as earned after). They also have a hierarchy program built for paying agency commissions

Has anybody used a program like this to sell major med or mini-meds policies without doctor office visits?

E.g. Enroll the client into a high-deductible health plan that doesn't have a copay for office visits but then also enrolls the client into the telemedicine service to give them access to doctor's visits via email or phone.

The website/company I found is www.accessadoctor.com. They had a webinar that talked about the program and it sounded pretty good...included a few side benefits like a blood profile and patient advocacy.

What do you think about this approach for clients who are looking to save money on their premiums?

Thanks!

Personally I love the idea of being able to add telemedicine personally I would much prefer to pick up the phone and get a script taken care right then instead of the current practice where I speak to the receptionist and then away a call back from the nurse have to go over my whole spiel again then set the appointment go to the Drs office finally getting the script. I love the idea as a convenience.

As an agent I get concerned that the consumer who views DRs visits as the reason to have health insurance would use this as an excuse not to have a major med policy.

I can understand your concern on people only taking this out and not carrying insurance.

It's definitely affordable for the family (less than $50 per month) and the commission rate on the telemedicine product (about 25%) should help make up for the loss of premium dollars for those who do buy a major or mini med with it...

I would think this should make mini-med plans that have very limited doctor office benefits a little more attractive to people and agents to sell...

Interesting concept. The anonymity aspects surrounding the site make me suspect

Access A Doctor was founded and is led by business and health care professionals with expertise in health care, health care communications, computer science, and information technology.

Why don't they want to list the names of those involved?

Perhaps because this is AmeriPlan in disguise?
site:www.accessadoctor.com

Where is the consumer site? The information you provided is a recruiting site. How many consumers will want to join given the solicitous nature (earn money) of the site?

I can understand your concern on people only taking this out and not carrying insurance.

It's definitely affordable for the family (less than $50 per month) and the commission rate on the telemedicine product (about 25%) should help make up for the loss of premium dollars for those who do buy a major or mini med with it...

I would think this should make mini-med plans that have very limited doctor office benefits a little more attractive to people and agents to sell...

Mini-meds leave people underinsured for major illnesses the very things they should have insurance for...If this encourages someone to purchase a mini-med then I would think its a bad thing.

Checkout the HealthNationConnect program below as an alternative, it provides more benefits and is only $30 a month per family. Agents can receive $$$ each month for all signups/renewals indefinitely. It is not necesasry that agents sign up to be distributors of the product, since it is not insurance, income sharing is allowed. Call me for more information and to start selling today. It is a slam dunk for agents with group cases. myhealthnation.net/usa
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
While telemedicine should never be sold to replace primary care physicians it does save time and money for families and their employers. Imagine reducing Urgent care. E-room and Physician office visits while still getting the consultation with an NCQA certified primary care physician and prescriptions as needed at the discretion of the telemedicine doctor. A huge plus for experience rated groups. The response has been strong on group cases since both employer and employee benefit greatly.
Final, disparate, thoughts... the AMA has estimated that 87% of all urgent care visits could be handled over the phone; telemedicine is regulated under the 2009 Federal Telemedicine act and works in all 50 states; you can get paid without signing up as a distributor; no license required; and, for $30 a month per family who wouldn't do this?:1rolleyes:

Last edited:

Beginning to feel left out. Guess I need something to pitch to continue to participate in this thread . . .

How are the docs compensated for their time in this?

One of the General Agents in our area is pitching Health Nation too. The GROUP plan costs $29 a month for a family, and the "Voluntary Group or Individual" plan costs $39 for a family. One of the posters above asked "who wouldn't do this" and I think about 99% of them wouldn't and probably shouldn't. It has a $20 "consultation fee" per tele visit. Let's say you use it once per month, and consider your total cost to be $59 a month. Why would you do that? Why not just pay a $30 copay, or else use your HSA and pay the Dr. visit fee (which costs about $60 here in AZ at the insurance company's discount price), and use pre-tax money, which nets out to about $45. Yes, convenience is an issue as a phone call is a lot easier than a visit. But can the doctor on the phone look in a child's ears to see if it's infected? Can the doctor take a urine sample to see what type of antibiotic to prescribe for a urinary tract infection? These are very simple, very common reasons to see a doctor, too - not to mention the more serious issues. Personally, I think the $39 + $20 consultation fee is better spent elsewhere. I'm also afraid people may buy it thinking they have "insurance" coverage. But it's not protection against a catastrophic loss like insurance is supposed to be. Even if it's sold as an "added benefit", it can mislead. I can't see why I should recommend this to my clients...

How are the docs compensated for their time in this?

One of the General Agents in our area is pitching Health Nation too. The GROUP plan costs $29 a month for a family, and the "Voluntary Group or Individual" plan costs $39 for a family. One of the posters above asked "who wouldn't do this" and I think about 99% of them wouldn't and probably shouldn't. It has a $20 "consultation fee" per tele visit. Let's say you use it once per month, and consider your total cost to be $59 a month. Why would you do that? Why not just pay a $30 copay, or else use your HSA and pay the Dr. visit fee (which costs about $60 here in AZ at the insurance company's discount price), and use pre-tax money, which nets out to about $45. Yes, convenience is an issue as a phone call is a lot easier than a visit. But can the doctor on the phone look in a child's ears to see if it's infected? Can the doctor take a urine sample to see what type of antibiotic to prescribe for a urinary tract infection? These are very simple, very common reasons to see a doctor, too - not to mention the more serious issues. Personally, I think the $39 + $20 consultation fee is better spent elsewhere. I'm also afraid people may buy it thinking they have "insurance" coverage. But it's not protection against a catastrophic loss like insurance is supposed to be. Even if it's sold as an "added benefit", it can mislead. I can't see why I should recommend this to my clients...

The doctors all work for a national telemedicine physician practice and have a national contract. These are primary care docs who see the future of telemedicine and like working from home and the reduced costs from operating a traditional practice.

Ann makes some sound points based on how HealthNation was previously explained to her. However, things have changed and the extra $20 fee no longer exists for group participants. Group participants also don't have to pay an initial registration fee as that is prepaid by the plan sponsor. The questions about how doctors practice medicine should probably be left to the doctors but, as I understand it, they are not trying to supplant personal physicians. The concept is to provide a convenient health consultation/diagnosis/treatment tool within the limitations of telemedicine. I'll be happy to provide further information if you are interested.
There was a previous post in the string about wanting to see a consumer site not just the "opportunity" sales site. Here it is: HealthNation

Last edited:
Back