Has Anyone Ever Heard Of This ? (California State)

MIM

Guru
100+ Post Club
In the state of California when an agent becomes appointed with a carrier it then becomes listed on the California Department of Insurance website. I have heard from a number of Farmer agents that it is possible to write business without having the carrier's entry placed on California DOI. Whether it's some sort of solicitor contract or maybe some sort of referral fee given, I really do not know. For fear of reprisal, Farmer agents seem to prefer this method of writing business to avoid being discovered. How is this even possible ? Does anyone know ? All inputs are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

MIM :idea:

In the state of California when an agent becomes appointed with a carrier it then becomes listed on the California Department of Insurance website. I have heard from a number of Farmer agents that it is possible to write business without having the carrier's entry placed on California DOI. Whether it's some sort of solicitor contract or maybe some sort of referral fee given, I really do not know. For fear of reprisal, Farmer agents seem to prefer this method of writing business to avoid being discovered. How is this even possible ? Does anyone know ? All inputs are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

MIM :idea:

Superior Access. Google them.

Sorry. I think maybe I wasn't specific enough in what I was asking. Wasn't referring to who they should go through to write business. I simply meant how they were forming their contract to avoid the carriers they were writing from appearing on DOI. Whether they were just simply referring the clients or if it was some sort of solicitor contract they were signing.

Companies such as Superior Access don't list appointments because, well, you really aren't appointed with the carrier. There are several of these type of companies out there that Farmers agents use to stay under the radar, even though the older contracts allowed them to have outside appointments.

Always fly under the radar.

Dan

Then it has to be some sort of referral agreement right ? In California, if they're signing the producer page on an application as agent of record, then a DOI entry would have to be made. (From what I understand.) I'm just curious to know the mechanics behind how the contract is structured.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Forgot to mention, is that just for p&c or does that include life too ? My original question was meant for the life side. How do they write life without showing their appointments ? Perhaps that only applies to p&c. I called Superior Access and they only offer p&c products. Some way, some how Farmers agents are writing life without entries being made on California DOI website. Sorry, I should have been specific on that. Thanks again for everyone's input.

MIM

Last edited:
Back