Has anyone tried pharmacy owners?

There are still a few "mom and pop" pharmacies in my city. Has anyone had any experience with sitting down with the owner, introducing yourself, and saying if you have a self-pay patient, mind giving them my card, I MAY be able to help?

I realize most self-pay for rx are uninsurable(pre-existing and what not). Has anyone tried this with any success? If so, pointers please. Or I am just to new to realize that I may be pissing up a flagpole here?

As always thank you for any input.:chatterbox:

Did not think of that angle, that is what this site is for. Thank you Rick.

Any thoughts on financial advisors as a way of getting referrals? I am still very new and want to keep costs to a minimum. I happen to know about 40 of them.

We've talked about that before, especially with the wirehouse (merrill, smith barney, etc.) they don't know a damn thing about health insurance, medicare plans, stuff like that, however - if you have the same insurance license, they may not let you in. You might want to hook up with a p&c person as a back door.

I don't know what you are selling but it looks like you have some initiative.

I have a small pharmacy that is a client of mine.

They allowed me to put some marketing materials in the store.

I recieved a lot of calls for health insurance but the leads were low income folks that had health conditions. This was really due to where the store was located.

I have done handfull of refferals with 401k guys. My situation was a bit different in that the 401k guys were bidding on the business and brought me to reduce cost on the health side.
Most 401k guys have no clue about the employee health benefits side of it.

I don't mean to necro bump here but I'm finding this topic interesting.

As a quick note, a pharmacist doesn't always want a patient to buy things retail. While there is a business side to this, a patient will be more non-compliant on drugs if they have to pay cash for insulin, or antidepressants, and whatnot. As a result the patient is in worse health condition and a pharmacist also loses out to 4 dollar generics and cheaper cash prices.

But anyway, I think going to a pharmacy is a great idea. It's actually what I would like to target I've always wanted to open my own pharmacy and I'm very eager to learn about how to insure them because I have a lot of ways to get my foot in the door.

Can someone go through the providers they use to insure a pharmacy? Do they frequently use pharmacist mutual or do you guys prefer to suggest another, non-specialty place like The Hartford?

What sort of coverages do you frequently stress for the owners? I know the pharmacy business side quite well surprisingly, and the healthcare aspect of it as well, but the insurance side is new to me since I'm mainly P&C personal lines. What products do you frequently sell them?

I foresee them being great at purchasing everything as a small business owner since they need health insurance, disability, loss of income and whatnot as well.

Any more suggestions or ways to target pharmacies and healthcare places specifically?

Believe it or not, pharmacies can and usually ARE very successful. Just like an agent, it's not money overnight and if you screw up then you're boned but if you're smart then you can make a decent living on it.

Hence me wanting to ensure them; there are some nice benefits such as the decision maker being at the front door all day long checking prescriptions. And me being a nationally certified pharmacy technician, I can count meds with the pharmacist while we talk so the pharmacist isn't behind on his work. It's perfect!

So what do I talk to him about in terms of coverage???? Who are the decent carriers for these things besides the specific pharmacist mutual?

Last edited:
Back