has things changed in car accident claims?

vic120

Guru
5000 Post Club
OH
My wife was rear ended getting on the parkway yesterday after picking up our son from therapy

1st weird thing was she called the police, for accident report and she was told as of yesterday the new policy is they don't send cars for accident reports anymore

then when she called our insurance company, They told us they would provide the ret a car and pay for damages at an approved location, when they approve the claim but if I want to go ahead and do it now I would have to pay $500 deductible and wait top be reimbursed and she was unsure if I had to wait to know an approved shop, also I am told we only get 30 days rental even if the repairs go longer

I told them we need the car fixed right away and they cannot tell me when it will be approved

Then today I got a call from the other drivers INS, and they said I can go ahead and go anywhere and get a rental now, When we asked why did our ins co say what they said, We were told its our choice if we want to use them its this way but I am welcome to you our ins if we want

its always been my understand its always controlled by my ins company, if not at fault my ins company is supposed to manage the at faults ins company paying I have never heard this if we choose this ins or that ins

OK Update, Went to body shop, They said in TN there is a choice between Ins companies because if the person at fault has a bad ins company that does not pay well I have a choice to choose to go through my own

Sounds weird

but they said if I go through the at fault driver ins its a better ins and I would not have to pay anything but if I go through mine I would need to pay out and get reimbursed and have deductible and be limited to just 30 days rental car, and parts area long wait

I hope I am not making a mistake but I went though there ins and left car

1st weird thing was she called the police, for accident report and she was told as of yesterday the new policy is they don't send cars for accident reports anymore

Police departments all over the country have been doing that for years. They don't come out for minor accidents. They'll come out if cars are immobile and/or injured people need immediate help.

I guess they figure everybody has a cell phone with a camera to memorialize the scene before moving the cars.

I hope your wife took photos.

, They told us they would provide the ret a car and pay for damages at an approved location, when they approve the claim but if I want to go ahead and do it now I would have to pay $500 deductible and wait top be reimbursed

That's standard when you make the claim on your own policy.

I am told we only get 30 days rental even if the repairs go longer

That's because you bought 30 days coverage. Read your policy.

its always been my understand its always controlled by my ins company, if not at fault my ins company is supposed to manage the at faults ins company paying I have never heard this if we choose this ins or that ins

Common misconception. Your company does not represent you in a claim against somebody else. Your company pays your claim, less your deductible and THEN seeks reimbursement from the other company and you get your deductible back. That's how it's been forever.

They said in TN there is a choice between Ins companies because if the person at fault has a bad ins company that does not pay well I have a choice to choose to go through my own

You have that choice in every state.

but they said if I go through the at fault driver ins its a better ins and I would not have to pay anything but if I go through mine I would need to pay out and get reimbursed and have deductible and be limited to just 30 days rental car, and parts area long wait

Yes, that's exactly right.

The difference is because your insurance covers you only for what you bought.

The at fault driver's insurance covers him for all sums for which he is legally liable.

When there is no doubt about fault and the other driver's insurance company responds quickly with positive results it's a good idea to file the claim there.

It's when you get the run-around it's best to file with your own insurance.

I hope I am not making a mistake but I went though there ins and left car

No mistake since they are cooperating quickly.

Back