Have you been asked to pay for "pain & suffering"? How'd you handle this situation properly?

Sam Poole

I'm a health broker specialize in Medicare. What to do when a customer is upset at you and wanting to be compensated. I need guidance and advice on what to do to make sure all aspect of legality is covered so the problems are resolved and case closed. I'd appreciate if you could share some insight as this is my first time since I've been licensed 6 years ago. Thanks!

What to do when a customer is upset at you and wanting to be compensated. I need guidance and advice on what to do to make sure all aspect of legality is covered so the problems are resolved and case closed.

Immediately contact your Errors and Omissions insurance carrier and report the claim.

If you don't have E & O coverage, then hire an insurance defense attorney.

Forgive my bluntness, but you obviously have no clue how to handle this or you wouldn't be asking. You are in dangerous territory and risk being driven into bankruptcy and possibly losing your license. This is not a do-it-yourself project.

Why would they ask you for 'pain and suffering'?

This makes very little sense to me, must be my thick-headed day.....

I'm a health broker specialize in Medicare. What to do when a customer is upset at you and wanting to be compensated. I need guidance and advice on what to do to make sure all aspect of legality is covered so the problems are resolved and case closed. I'd appreciate if you could share some insight as this is my first time since I've been licensed 6 years ago. Thanks!

Yeah Sam, we're going to need a little more info on this. What did you supposedly do?

While I would love to know more as well, Adjusterjack is spot on. You should have contacted your E&O carrier as soon as a claim or potential claim arose. At this point you are behind the eight ball and may have impacted your coverage under the policy.

If you don't have E&O, you definitely need to get seeking representation from someone experienced in defending agents.

Thank you for all your responses. Yes, I do have E&O and thought about contacting them. However, I've since contacted my upline, and they said let them take care of it, so at this time, I'm sitting still waiting to hear what's coming to me.

Thank you for all your responses. Yes, I do have E&O and thought about contacting them. However, I've since contacted my upline, and they said let them take care of it, so at this time, I'm sitting still waiting to hear what's coming to me.

Did they also sign paperwork drawn up by your attorney, promising you an unlimited defense and indemnifying you against any and all liability?

Because someone else did... (up to a limit).

Yeah..I would still call your E&O carrier instead of just waiting around. Just waiting feels like turning a blind eye to a problem that could blow up in your face. Take the advice, call. I'm not saying don't let your upline help you. I am saying don't just wait around until your license is revoked and you are no longer in the business and you don't know what happened.

Yes, I do have E&O and thought about contacting them.

While you are thinking about it, why don't you take out your E&O policy and read the section that explains your duties in the event of a claim. If you don't comply with those duties, which include reporting knowledge of a claim promptly, you risk losing your policy and being out in the cold if you get sued.

Back