Have You Ever Made A Prospect Or Client Cry?

Cash

Guru
100+ Post Club
So has this ever happened to you?

I've cried with clients before. It really can make one feel good about this business.

One of my best memories in this business was sitting at the kitchen table when a client who I was helping who started to cry while thanking me. He is a tough old guy and I couldn't believe that he was moved to tears.

Any one else have a good story worth sharing?

I once had a couple feel bad about not buying from me, so they sent me away with "parting gifts": from her, a Jesus candle; from him, an umpire training DVD (we both have a passion for baseball, and he was a supervisor of officials).

Ten years later I had another appointment with them (although I didn't realize they were "that couple.") This time they bought, and when I returned with their policies and volunteered to organize all of their insurance papers into one folder I found my old business card, along with about 10 various other cards, from before and after my initial appointment.

I had a lady hysterical like choking sobbing, snotty nose crying out of control right at my desk. She was having a hard time catching her breath.

I had to break the bad news that Progressive was not going to pay off the loan on her totaled car plus give her another down payment to get another car. She owed 6k on a car that was worth 3k and that was being generous. She went through bad credit financing at 25% plus she got the extended warranty, with tax and tags then the dealer stuck her with a $500 processing fee what ever that was. So she was way upside down on this loan.

I spoke to her car dealer to see if they could get her a discount on a car and tack on the balance of the totaled car to the new one, I called other dealers I know for her. Nothing that was offered was agreeable other than getting 6k plus another 1k for a down payment which progressive was not going do. They settled for 3,500.

She declined the Gap insurance which would have helped in this situation. I still feel really bad for her - she is a nice lady and needed this car to get to work.

Yes, if you do this business long enough, you are bound to get them. One of them cried to me saying that he does not need life insurance during the fact find because he was pretty sure he is not the real father and his wife cheated on him. I was new in the business so I did not have an answer on the spot for this one, but I kept following up with him over the years, got closer to closing. Then I got the news he died, I was sad and then I found out he died having sex with a prostitute and his heart could not take it. To this date, I don't know if he was the real father or not. SO if they cry now, I am not taking it personally. Frankly, crying means they have some feelings and they care about something. It is my job to find out what that is and help them.

Yes, if you do this business long enough, you are bound to get them. One of them cried to me saying that he does not need life insurance during the fact find because he was pretty sure he is not the real father and his wife cheated on him. I was new in the business so I did not have an answer on the spot for this one, but I kept following up with him over the years, got closer to closing. Then I got the news he died, I was sad and then I found out he died having sex with a prostitute and his heart could not take it. To this date, I don't know if he was the real father or not. SO if they cry now, I am not taking it personally. Frankly, crying means they have some feelings and they care about something. It is my job to find out what that is and help them.

Whoa! I try to avoid these 'Jerry Springer' situations... but having had some ministering background and experience... the only thing I could think of saying would be something like "Okay, let's suppose she cheated on you. Would you love this child any less? If something happened to you, what would you want to have happen for your spouse who is caring for this child? Life insurance is for two primary reasons - you owe someone, or you love someone. Lack of DNA doesn't mean that you love someone any less. In fact, it would show that you CHOSE to love that person, when you could choose NOT to."

Just my thoughts.

My grandpa, now 94, purple heart recipient, was a life insurance salesman.
On a sales call that my dad was on with him when he was about 25 the following happened:

They were sitting in the living room with a rough and tough semi-truck driver. Now my grandpa is a pretty meek man with big thick glasses. He never drank an ounce of alcohol or smoked a cigarette in his life. He is talking to this rough and very large man who clearly doesn't want them there.

After explaining how life insurance worked and how it would help his wife and children if he were to die, the rough semi-truck driver yelled "I don't care. If I die she can marry some sum-of-a-b*tch to take care of her."

My grandpa, as calm as can be, leaned forward and paused. He looked the large, tough, mean, semi-truck driver in the eye through his big thick glasses. In a soft but firm voice he said....

"Don't you think being married to one son of a b*tch is enough?"

The two men stared at each other. My dad feared for his life. The seconds felt like hours.

Finally the tough semi truck driver leaned forward closer to my grandpa and said "I guess your right."

He signed up for life insurance right there and remained a client of my grandfather until he retired.

Back