Have you heard of HBW Financial?

Mattw

I'm just starting out in insurance. I passed the Life & Disability tests, but I don't have an agent's job yet. I would like to know your thoughts on HBW Financial.

I'm an actuary that wants to switch to sales because I'm bored. I would like to try being a part-time agent until I get the hang of selling. So far I have rejected NAA and AFLAC for part-time work. I've sent an e-mail to New York Life, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. In the mean time I'm looking at HBW.

I was hoping you could tell me if I should stay away from HBW.

I'm trying to figure out what client would want to work with a part-time agent, or don't you consider insurance to be serious.

I consider insurance to be serious. I just don't want to give up my regular job until I figure out how to sell insurance.

Since I'm an actuary I believe I can give an intelligent insurance presentation to a client, but will they buy from me? So I think I face more of a selling problem than a seriousness problem.

I plan to use High Probability Selling (HPS) techniques. I don't know if you guys have seen their website http://www.highprobsell.com/.

They offer a no nonsense approach to selling. Being interested in a product is not enough to be a High Probability Prospect. One has to need, want and be willing to buy soon if I can meeting their requirements.

Generally, HPS techniques deal with getting fewer appointments, but closing over 75% of them. They take NO for an answer.

I consider insurance to be serious. I just don't want to give up my regular job until I figure out how to sell insurance.

Selling insurance is going to be very tough for you. You will be looking at working at least 3-5 hours during the evening and working the entire weekend to be successful. Some people like to "test" the waters, but 99% of those people fail because they forgot two important elements. 1) You test out a type of wine and not a career change......unless you can perform 100% at both jobs. 2) Performing due diligence and preparing for what is ahead and sacrificing A LOT !!!!

Since I'm an actuary I believe I can give an intelligent insurance presentation to a client, but will they buy from me? So I think I face more of a selling problem than a seriousness problem.

I was a straight D student in high school, an A- student in college, President of the Psychology Club and I helped many people get into graduate school and further their career aspirations. I got my ass handed to me the first 1 1/2 years in sales but I persevered. When you factor in the fact that the "average" reading level of Americans is at a 10th grade level (last time I checked) we are not talking about a very challenging situation for the average person. Intelligence is only 15% of the equation followed by 35% product knowledge and 50% personality.

Everybody bases their decision on emotions and THAT is followed by logic. I don't care what anybody tells you....the research available on the internet and various sales, business and psychology all paint the same picture. Get them emotional and then offer a logical solution to ease the particular "emotional" feelings you made the client feel or exude. But you have got to be careful from crossing ethical lines by trying to manipulate the client and know when to say when!

I plan to use High Probability Selling (HPS) techniques. I don't know if you guys have seen their website http://www.highprobsell.com/. They offer a no nonsense approach to selling. Being interested in a product is not enough to be a High Probability Prospect. One has to need, want and be willing to buy soon if I can meeting their requirements.

I guarantee you that at least 80% of the people you try that method with will tell you to go to hell if you work with the small business population and the individual market. Here is a discussion about the book http://www.insurance-forums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=736&highlight=honest+selling

A gentlemen whose name I forgot mentioned the book Honest Selling. I recommend you buy both books and anything from Brian Tracy. Commit to reading EVERY SINGLE DAY until you find the force!

Generally, HPS techniques deal with getting fewer appointments, but closing over 75% of them. They take NO for an answer.

Jacques's methods work with a "disclaimer." The key is to get fewer appts. with more highly qualified people who match a certain criteria is very accurate, but what he recommends you use with everybody is incorrect. Each individual you talk with has a their own needs and all have a different personality and as such, that requires a different plan of attack. I will not talk and react the same way to woman or man who is 50+ years old versus a family man in his early 30's or single mother with 1-2 kids. The books The Closer 1 and 2 have excellent chapters on different personality types, but if you really want to rise above everybody....go take a personality course at your local college or pick up a few books at the library.

Years ago in the beginning of my career I took The Wilson Learning Course, I learned what type of personality I was, analytical expressive, and learned how to modify my personality to relate efficiently with other personality types.
You have the odds stacked against you doing this part time. However, this business, if you can survive the first 2 years, is very rewarding and you are the one that sets how well you do.

Years ago in the beginning of my career I took The Wilson Learning Course, I learned what type of personality I was, analytical expressive, and learned how to modify my personality to relate efficiently with other personality types.
You have the odds stacked against you doing this part time. However, this business, if you can survive the first 2 years, is very rewarding and you are the one that sets how well you do.

Is that course still available? I'm not familiar with it and google didn't turn up anything. Sounds very close to the Myers-Briggs Test and similar ones.

If you want the best shot at success, go with New York Life over HBW.

That being said, the mindset and culture at HBW is not ANYTHING like Primerica.

Back