Having Both MAPD and Med Sup

Dowejonez

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Iowa
Ran into another MAPD where the agent didn't make sure the med sup was canceled.

What do you think would happen if I wrote a PDP and left her on the med sup? Would it go unnoticed? She might not pass underwriting if she had to go through it again.

This situation happens ! Ive seen it myself. There is no checks and balances preventing this from happening. Ive seen some people with a Supplement pick up a $0 MAPD just to get the dental, vision and hearing freebees. I think this is an interesting phenomenon. MAPD plans are just a race to the bottom with all these extra dental vision and hearing and OTC meds and groceries "free" give aways (bribes)....Will be fun to see other agents chime in on this tread.

Ran into another MAPD where the agent didn't make sure the med sup was canceled.

What do you think would happen if I wrote a PDP and left her on the med sup? Would it go unnoticed? She might not pass underwriting if she had to go through it again.

Yeah, I think it would go unnoticed.

This situation happens ! Ive seen it myself. There is no checks and balances preventing this from happening. Ive seen some people with a Supplement pick up a $0 MAPD just to get the dental, vision and hearing freebees. I think this is an interesting phenomenon. MAPD plans are just a race to the bottom with all these extra dental vision and hearing and OTC meds and groceries "free" give aways (bribes)....Will be fun to see other agents chime in on this tread.

(Caveat, not an agent)

I looked into having a supplement and an MAPD at the same time when I was looking at an MSA plan. As I understand it, a beneficiary who already has a medigap plan can purchase an MAPD plan and continue to pay the premiums on the medigap plan. You just aren't allowed to use them both in the same year.

On the surface, if someone has both a medigap and an MAPD and they use the medigap for hospital and /or doctor services and the MAPD for the drug and vision benefits, it seems like they would be leaving themselves open for CMS to reclaim all payments made for the beneficiary by both CMS and the Medigap carrier. I don't know what the actual legal details would be.

(Caveat, not an agent)

On the surface, if someone has both a medigap and an MAPD and they use the medigap for hospital and /or doctor services and the MAPD for the drug and vision benefits, it seems like they would be leaving themselves open for CMS to reclaim all payments made for the beneficiary by both CMS and the Medigap carrier..

This post needs to be deleted or moved to the consumer help requests . Please , no one dignify this with a correction ..let it stand and let the mods deal with it.

This post needs to be deleted or moved to the consumer help requests . Please , no one dignify this with a correction ..let it stand and let the mods deal with it.

You edited my full post with your negative comment above.

So are you saying that someone is allowed to have, and use, a Medigap plan and an MAPD plan at the same time?

I looked into having a supplement and an MAPD at the same time when I was looking at an MSA plan. As I understand it, a beneficiary who already has a medigap plan can purchase an MAPD plan and continue to pay the premiums on the medigap plan. You just aren't allowed to use them both in the same year.

....but if I remember correctly, placing a med sup on top of an MAPD is strictly prohibited. I personally though would not attempt to place an MAPD over a med sup either. This lady has had the med sup in place since she aged in so has a preferred rate and the overlap is just one year. The med sup company will probably refund the full year, their agent services said, but no more than one year.

Latest posts

Back