Having Both MAPD and Med Sup

you can't . . .
yes you can.

Again, keep in mind the distinction between having in the sense of owning and keeping a policy in force and having in the sense of using, ie having providers receive payments.

If you already own Medigap, you can get and use a Medicare advantage policy. You can own the medigap at the same time (as long as you pay the premiums) but may not use it. This lets you drop the MA/MAPD in the next annual enrollment period by enrolling in a PDP and then returning to actually using the old Medigap plan and the new PDP plan in the new PDP enrollment year.

Last edited:
People that are saying “you can’t” lostdollar, are just referring to the fact that it is illegal for us to do so.
It can, like you said, be done. The medigap will never pay though. If the bill from the doctor went to Medicare, Medicare will automatically send it to the MAPD plan. The Med supp will never see the bill because the MAPD is primary, not Medicare.

Last edited:
yes you can.

Again, keep in mind the distinction between having in the sense of owning and keeping a policy in force and having in the sense of using, ie having providers receive payments.

If you already own Medigap, you can get and use a Medicare advantage policy. You can own the medigap at the same time (as long as you pay the premiums) but may not use it. This lets you drop the MA/MAPD in the next annual enrollment period by enrolling in a PDP and then returning to actually using the old Medigap plan and the new PDP plan in the new PDP enrollment year.

Bahahahaha

A Med Sup can’t pay anything if you have an active MA plan. Med Sups only pay after original Medicare A&B. Your A&B are inactive if you are on Part C.

I have run into a lady that had 6-straight years of Humana MAPD cards and had paid for an AARP Med Sup Plan F the entire time. I called United Healthcare with her to cancel the Med Sup since it was during lock in. They basically talked her into keeping it and would not let me explain anything to them at all because I was an agent. Poor woman couldn’t really understand any of it.
You should have hung up the phone and called back as her son. :yes:

People that are saying “you can’t” lostdollar, are just referring to the fact that it is illegal for us to do so.
It can, like you said, be done. The medigap will never pay though. If the bill from the doctor went to Medicare, Medicare will automatically send it to the MAPD plan. The Med supp will never see the bill because the MAPD is primary, not Medicare.

Thanks for the comments. I hope they will encourage op towards helping his client retain her existing coverage.

I was not trying to make any comments about what an agent's licensing state, personal ethics or E&O coverage might allow-only what I believe CMS allows-at least for an individual medicare beneficiary to do.

I believe this was discussed between you and Craig Ritter in the Lasso thread.

Yes. I have persisted in my comments in this thread only because it seemed to me that op was going to miss an opportunity for the best way to help his client. I have repeated myself several times and am going to be done posting in this thread.

Back