Hc.gov Fraud Attempts

Tkruger

Guru
1000 Post Club
Nationwide
I had originally requested admin to remove the post until I could do some further digging...now that I've done that I wanted to share my findings.

So I get a call from a client who wanted to let me know that they received a voicemail from 844-477-7500 claiming to be from the marketplace. They stated the reason for the call was that the application had inconsistencies. Note that I had already assisted the client in uploading verification documents. However they didn't leave a call back number (generally they do) to the 800-318-2596 call center.

In googling the number it seems there are many out there that believed this to be a phishing scam. As the way the call goes: "Hi this is X from the health insurance marketplace. Am I speaking to Y? In order for me to verify that I am speaking to the right person I need you to verify your address, SSN and DOB."

I've received calls from the advanced resolution dept in the past where the call went the same way. What differs here is that I was expecting the call.

When you call the number an automated message states that this is a number associated to the Health Insurance Marketplace and if you are responding to call the 800-318-2596 or login to HC.gov...sounds legit, right?!? :skeptical:

Digging further I find this number 701-264-3124 associated to a scam link to the 844 number. When you call this number you get an automated message stating that you have reached the Health Insurance Marketplace, the call is regarding updated information regarding your 1095a tax form. We will call you back later.

Just figured I'd share as this is a very sophisticated phishing scam that I have no doubt had duped a lot of people.

Sources HC.Gov Google search

Anyone else have your client reach out to you about something like this?

Attachments

• HealthMarketPlace_VM_020316.mp3
    390.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back