HD - Plan F also gone in 2020?

This may be a stupid question but that's okay...at times I'm a stupid man (2 ex wives for example).

It was my understanding that the HD-plan F would not be affected in 2020 because it has the deductible. The whole reason the F was being grandfathered was to try and get seniors to pay more into their health care. So it would make sense to leave the HD-F plan in place.

Then again...we are talking the American govt. here....so who the hell knows.

So is the high deductible plan F also going to be affected? Or is that a "safe" option for people for the foreseeable future?

Curious minds and all.

I'm not sure what the difference would be between a "HD-G" and the existing "HD-F" would be.

That's interesting though, so basically Congress is fixing something that really didn't need to be fixed.

Well it kinda did. When you look at the supplement charts, HD-F is an F plan which is no longer going to be available to new enrollees. So to fix that they had to add an HD option for the G plan and column.

HDF and HDG would be almost the same, with one remotely possible difference.

Do you think you'll be able to sell that instead of HDF?

Rick

Depends on premiums which we won't know about until the carriers start announcing their plans. I'm expecting to see y'all havin' a bunch of new product rate discussions about this time next year.

Well it kinda did. When you look at the supplement charts, HD-F is an F plan which is no longer going to be available to new enrollees. So to fix that they had to add an HD option for the G plan and column.

HDF and HDG would be almost the same, with one remotely possible difference.

Anyone have anything official on this? I've not heard one way or the other and was thinking about moving a client into it. They owe about 15K in medical bills but "can't afford" a G plan.

If they could pass underwriting that is (history of heart issues).

Anyone have anything official on this?
Federal Register update (search for "Plan G"): Federal Register :: Medicare Program; Recognition of Revised NAIC Model Standards for Regulation of Medicare Supplemental Insurance

Implementation guidance document: www.naic.org/documents/committees_b_senior_issues_170201_medigap_faq.pdf

Snippet:

18. What changes are made to High Deductible Plan options?

Since Plan F High Deductible cannot be sold to those "newly eligible" Medicare beneficiaries, a new Plan G High Deductible is created.

19. When can the new High Deductible Plan G be sold and who can buy it?

Plan G High Deductible can be made available beginning on January 1, 2020; "newly eligible" Medicare beneficiaries and current beneficiaries would be able to buy the new Plan G High Deductible.

20. For high deductible plans, does payment of the Part B deductible count towards the plan deductible?

For Plan G High Deductible; while the Part B deductible is not covered (reimbursed), in most situations, it does count towards the High Deductible plan's deductible. If, in the rare circumstance the Plan G's High Deductible is met with all Part A expenses and Part B Deductible expenses are then incurred, these expenses will not count towards meeting the High Deductible nor be covered expenses.

For enrollees in the Plan F High Deductible Plan, the Part B expenses will continue to be covered.

21. For the new High Deductible Plan G sold on or after January 1, 2020, , what happens if a policyholder meets the high deductible amount with all Part A out of pocket expenses?

If, in the rare circumstance the Plan G's High Deductible is met with all Part A expenses and Part B Deductible expenses are then incurred, these expenses will not count towards meeting the High Deductible nor be covered expenses.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back