He Came Back

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
A few months ago I got a call from a referral. Retired doc on SSDI and Medicare. Turning 65 in September and wanted to know what his options were.

He was spending a ton of money on the AARP/UHC plan F + PDP.

He told me up front he had memory and cognitive issues due a brain injury that forced his retirement. He writes everything down to help him remember.

I assured him we can move along at his pace, and he can stop at any time if he needs a break or just wants to clarify a point.

Over the next few days I spent a couple of hours on the phone and followed up with several detailed emails outlining our discussions and my suggestions.

One day he called and said he was ready to buy. I went over everything again and he confirmed that he understood everything.

I took the Medigap application by phone, takes about 5 minutes, submitted the app electronically and sent him a copy. I kept him in the loop through the progression and everything went fine . . . until he received the policy.

The carrier includes a discount Rx card with every policy issue. He became confused and thought this was his new drug card (even though I told him to keep his current AARP/UHC card if he was satisfied with the coverage).

He cancelled his AARP/UHC gap plan per my instructions but also cancelled his Rx when he got the discount card. He discovered his error a few days later when he tried to fill his prescriptions and handed the druggist his discount card instead of the UHC card (which was still in effect until the end of the month).

Of course the cost of his meds were much higher than he was accustomed to, and rather than calling me he called the carrier to cancel his gap plan then called AARP to reinstate everything.

After doing all this, THEN he called to tell me AARP took better care of him and he had cancelled the plan I wrote. He was obviously upset so I saw no need in addressing his issues at that time so I left it alone.

I did however send him an email, including copies of earlier emails where I had outlined everything, including the one that told him to keep is Rx plan.

That was back in August.

A few days ago I got an email from him, apologizing for messing things up. His wife turns 65 in a few months and he wanted to know if I would handle her coverage.

I was out of town and responded, telling him I would call in a few days to set a time to discuss her coverage. I also told him we could rewind everything on his plan if he wants.

We talked yesterday. They only live a few miles from me so I agreed to meet them at a coffee shop on Monday to go over everything. He agreed to bring his AARP/UHC information and wants me to rewrite his gap plan as well as one on his wife.

I rarely lose clients, and this one bothered me more than most because I knew he was confused about everything and reacted impetuously. Most of my clients are "still in the game" mentally, but I do have a few that have issues including one that is bipolar. It takes a lot of patience with these people but it pays off over the long haul.

In the past I might get a phone call asking what to do with them. Since this happened, I am pro-active.

When the policy is issued I send an email letting them know to expect the card, that it is NOT a substitute for a REAL PDP, and they should probably throw it away.

The carrier told him to use the card for Rx not covered under his PDP.

I told him there were better alternatives, both at retail and mailorder.

These prescription discount cards are a lot of hype about nothing. For the most part I say they are worthless.

The cards generate revenue for the agent/carrier. Typical comp I have seen is $0.50 per script filled.

Get enough volume and you can make money but the formulary on these cards is atrocious. More often than not they can get a better price without the card.

A few months ago I got a call from a referral. Retired doc on SSDI and Medicare. Turning 65 in September and wanted to know what his options were.

He was spending a ton of money on the AARP/UHC plan F + PDP.

He told me up front he had memory and cognitive issues due a brain injury that forced his retirement. He writes everything down to help him remember.

I assured him we can move along at his pace, and he can stop at any time if he needs a break or just wants to clarify a point.

Over the next few days I spent a couple of hours on the phone and followed up with several detailed emails outlining our discussions and my suggestions.

One day he called and said he was ready to buy. I went over everything again and he confirmed that he understood everything.

I took the Medigap application by phone, takes about 5 minutes, submitted the app electronically and sent him a copy. I kept him in the loop through the progression and everything went fine . . . until he received the policy.

The carrier includes a discount Rx card with every policy issue. He became confused and thought this was his new drug card (even though I told him to keep his current AARP/UHC card if he was satisfied with the coverage).

He cancelled his AARP/UHC gap plan per my instructions but also cancelled his Rx when he got the discount card. He discovered his error a few days later when he tried to fill his prescriptions and handed the druggist his discount card instead of the UHC card (which was still in effect until the end of the month).

Of course the cost of his meds were much higher than he was accustomed to, and rather than calling me he called the carrier to cancel his gap plan then called AARP to reinstate everything.

After doing all this, THEN he called to tell me AARP took better care of him and he had cancelled the plan I wrote. He was obviously upset so I saw no need in addressing his issues at that time so I left it alone.

I did however send him an email, including copies of earlier emails where I had outlined everything, including the one that told him to keep is Rx plan.

That was back in August.

A few days ago I got an email from him, apologizing for messing things up. His wife turns 65 in a few months and he wanted to know if I would handle her coverage.

I was out of town and responded, telling him I would call in a few days to set a time to discuss her coverage. I also told him we could rewind everything on his plan if he wants.

We talked yesterday. They only live a few miles from me so I agreed to meet them at a coffee shop on Monday to go over everything. He agreed to bring his AARP/UHC information and wants me to rewrite his gap plan as well as one on his wife.

I rarely lose clients, and this one bothered me more than most because I knew he was confused about everything and reacted impetuously. Most of my clients are "still in the game" mentally, but I do have a few that have issues including one that is bipolar. It takes a lot of patience with these people but it pays off over the long haul.

I sold 24 years in home. To this day the more I had to tell them and the longer the appt the less retention those clients were on books. Just my experience. Get them talking and direct them to decision making process and be iut to next appt within an hour tops. Those long friendly small talkn appts ended pretty much when u leave and they find anotheragent willing to sit for 3 hours instead of 2. My 2 cents its not being rude to say we need to stay on point In here to work.

Back