Health Benefits Direct...BEWARE!

CT Insure Guy

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I did a search on here but found no specific thread related to these guys...

Has anyone dealt with these clowns, Health Benefits Direct? So far, I have had 2 agents try to steal my Assurant deals, one manager tell me "My guys do so much with Assurant that I could have your contract cancelled if I wanted" after I called to complain about their dispicable marketing/bullying tactics. I also put a fake lead through InsureMe(HBD buys from them) and listened as their Robobabe left a message saying "Due to a limited Enrollment in your state, please call us back ASAP to do an application". I again called a manager there and asked what exactly a "limited enrollment" meant, seeing as their is no such thing for Indvidual applicants in CT, and was told that "Well you can imagine there is a lot of competition in this market so sometimes we need to create a sense of urgency". "Oh, so you mean you lie to customers?" He hung up.

Their latest tactic is, and you need to be wary of this, is the Robobabe calls all leads back and says "This is HBD, we need to speak with you about your recent insurance application. Please call us at..." What this leads to with some customers(already at least two of mine) is they call back assuming an app YOU did with them has a problem (usually because you have told them that Assurant may call them for follow up questions) and then they try to do a a NEW app with either Assurant, Aetna or GR. It's not going to work on everyone but some of the slower customers fall for it. Truly astonishing. If it's an Assurant app they try to get the broker changed and so far I had both of mine fixed but who knows if when I get busy I'll catch all of them.

I am all for friendly competition but this is complete and utter fraud. Anyone else deal with this s**t from them?

I do n ot see a problem with them saying there is a limited enrollment. Technically there is. They are going to be uninsurabel at some point in there life. It could be next month. I do not agree with them lying about a problem with an app that they have not filled out and stealing the client.

I do n ot see a problem with them saying there is a limited enrollment. Technically there is. They are going to be uninsurabel at some point in there life. It could be next month. I do not agree with them lying about a problem with an app that they have not filled out and stealing the client.

Well some people don't see a problem with having a 6 pack at 9:00am because "it's 5:00 somwhere". I guess it all depsnds on the individual and how they interpret things. Me personally, I couldn't even imagine creating "urgency" by making them think they have only so much time to apply or they're screwed. It's starts the relationship off with Used Car Salesmen tactics. I'd rather sell a couple less policies doing it the right way...same reason I left Schmega Life...

I always tell people they might have a limited toime to sign up. It has happened to, I signed a lady up for a med supp and when I delivered the policy, she had just got out of the hospital from a heart attack. If she would have waited and if I wouldn't have made her aware of the urgency to sign up when I was there then she would still be paying $100 more per month for the same plan. Whats wrong with drinking at 9AM?

I always tell people they might have a limited toime to sign up. It has happened to, I signed a lady up for a med supp and when I delivered the policy, she had just got out of the hospital from a heart attack. If she would have waited and if I wouldn't have made her aware of the urgency to sign up when I was there then she would still be paying $100 more per month for the same plan. Whats wrong with drinking at 9AM?

Hey, drinking at 9:00am and no problem being crafty to close deals? Sounds like a career at Mega awaits you!

Health Benefits Direct is a joke. They often tell people that I have talked to that they are "local." What a lie. They're clever at quoting the CoreMed and making it sound like the Max Plan.

Yeah I have been told that they are the single largest seller of the Right Start/lower end plans that Assurant offers in the country. They have also pulled the "local" BS with some of my cleints too. There is a major difference between being an aggressive, assertive salesperson and being a scummy d**k and that's apparently how they choose to do business. Just like Mega, I am sure it will come back to bite them in the ass...

Hey CT, I am not saying I like the HDB place or even know who they are. It is not my market. I was just saying that I don't see the problem with the sense of urgency. I think I will decline your mega offer and stick to what I do best;)

Hey CT, I am not saying I like the HDB place or even know who they are. It is not my market. I was just saying that I don't see the problem with the sense of urgency. I think I will decline your mega offer and stick to what I do best;)

Well I guess we all define "creating a sense of urgency" differently. I choose not to parse the definition of the word "is" a la Bill Clinton, but instead create a sense of trust and product/market knowledge with my clients. What happens if someone says to you when they call "Hey, your message stated there was a 'limited enrollment' so I wanted to call right away. What exactly does that mean and how many people can enroll?" Your earlier explanation would certainly not make me very comfortable. Then the tap dancing begins and the customer feels like things are a little hokey. Even when I worked with Schmega I never gave in to those kinds of tactics. The top guys there would leave message as insane as:

"The State of CT only allows a select # of applications per month and we need to get an application in right away to see if you qualify!" Truly pathetic...hey, come to think of it, maybe those same guys trained the HBD salespeople!

I never said I tell people the have a limited enrollment period. I said I do not see anything wrong with them saying that. I don't dwell on what other people do though. I worry about my own business. I feel I am obligated to tell someone that if thier health changes they will not qualify. By taking an app with me that day and by sending in the premium it locks in thier health as of that moment. SO if they have a heart attack the next day it will not hurt thier application. See it how you want. I inform my prospects of everything that would keep them from getting coverage.

Back