Health Care and Retiring Out of Country

One, to determine if anyone here had first hand experience with clients moving out of country. Also to see what others have found in these situations.

There are some threads here. Here are two, I think there is at least one more I have lost track of:

https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/seniors-who-dont-qualify-for-medicare.86624/

https://insurance-forums.com/commun...not-living-in-the-country.89469/#post-1194069

Secondly, I was wondering if there were a product I could market to those folks. Even then, probably doesn't happen enough to pursue.

I would suggest talking to tonyisme via pm. It looks like he hasn't signed on for awhile, but you could at least try the pm. I would expect him to have market knowledge, and maybe some contracts for Mexico and Central and South America.

I've been removed from Medicare for some time but had 2 different experiences with just this same scenario. First customer was in Italy and suffered kidney stones. He was treated abd released with no bill from Italian healthcare system at all. Second customer was in Jordan and was treated for a rotator cuff injury. He had to pay out of pocket and was reimbursed by Medicare and his supplement for the majority of his bills. I guess it depends on the country and that is where to begin asking questions. If the part B premium is deducted from SS and Part A is free, why drop the US coverage? Worst case is deductible and 20%

I've been removed from Medicare for some time but had 2 different experiences with just this same scenario. First customer was in Italy and suffered kidney stones. He was treated abd released with no bill from Italian healthcare system at all. Second customer was in Jordan and was treated for a rotator cuff injury. He had to pay out of pocket and was reimbursed by Medicare and his supplement for the majority of his bills. I guess it depends on the country and that is where to begin asking questions. If the part B premium is deducted from SS and Part A is free, why drop the US coverage? Worst case is deductible and 20%

(Note: I am not an insurance agent. Have been a forum member going on 3 years.)

The sense I have from reading posts here, and on some retire abroad sites, is that for some folks it would make no difference.

However, I do think there are some people who look at retiring abroad who are cutting finances pretty close to do so. For those folks the part B, medigap, Part D cost issues could have some noticeable budget impact.

Second customer was in Jordan and was treated for a rotator cuff injury. He had to pay out of pocket and was reimbursed by Medicare and his supplement for the majority of his bills

That's odd. Medicare does not cover foreign travel except in very rare situations.

Medicare usually doesn’t cover health care while you’re traveling outside the u.s. There are some exceptions, including some cases where Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) may pay for services that you get on board a ship within the territorial waters adjoining the land areas of the U.S.

Medicare may pay for inpatient hospital, doctor, ambulance services, or dialysis you get in a foreign country in these rare cases:

You're in the U.S. when a medical emergency occurs, and the foreign hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical condition.

You're traveling through Canada without unreasonable delay by the most direct route between Alaska and another state when a medical emergency occurs, and the Canadian hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat the emergency.

You live in the U.S. and the foreign hospital is closer to your home than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical condition, regardless of whether an emergency exists.

In some cases, Medicare may cover medically necessary health care services you get on board a ship within the territorial waters adjoining the land areas of the U.S. Medicare won't pay for health care services you get when a ship is more than 6 hours away from a U.S. port.
Travel Medical Coverage

I suppose the last one in bold, treated in foreign hospital regardless of medical emergency would apply. Just have never encountered that before.

So much weasel language in Medicare I find it easier to say "buy a travel plan", collect my $8 commission and move on.

If the part B premium is deducted from SS and Part A is free, why drop the US coverage? Worst case is deductible and 20%

That 20% is unlimited and most likely will NOT cover foreign travel claims.

I tell folks the 20% is due until you get well, run out of money or die.

That's when they decide the Medigap premium might not be so bad . . .

I've been an agent for 15 yrs. Been part of this forum for half that time. I have absolutely no value to add to this thread.

But, I believe this is a good topic so we can provide answers to the 143 dems who are leaving country because of pres trump.

Also, I spoke to a guy, on a train, and then on uber transfer, who decided to move to Dominican republic recently, didn't go well.

Almost forgot, A non agent once told me that most supplemental plans have $50k of International travel coverage.

My guess is your bolded quote above from the medicare.gov link you posted and this document.

https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11037-Medicare-Coverage-Outside-United-Stat.pdf

Would be the relevant basis for the payment.

For people with enough money, that document also suggests that Guam or the US Virgin Islands might be overseas options worth considering for overseas retirement.

It is also a reminder that if you choose the cruise ship living option mentioned recently in another thread, Medicare could still be useful.

edit--------
Another possibility would be that the US has, or had, some kind of reciprocal national health insurance agreement with Jordan.
end edit ---------

Last edited:
Thanks for your "no value" post.

It will probably be preserved in the forum HOF

Was the non-agent someone we know? Someone down to his last dollar?

You already have most of the answers as far as carriers are concerned.
Two other old threads with which you were involved:

https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/international-travel-medical.66606/

https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/geoblue-international-travel.81994/

I've talked to somarco about this in the past.

To create a whole new thread costs too much money and ignores the fact the the insurance industry, laws, products, people, and carriers never change and the best threads are 10 yrs old.

I apologize for his actions

Back