Health Care and Retiring Out of Country

Y, you don't need to apologize for me, but I appreciate your offer. You have already done enough in this thread by contributing nothing of value. Go home and take a nap.

Retiring out of country, i.e. taking up permanent residence is not the same as visiting a foreign country for a few weeks or months.

All of the international travel policies I have seen are for a finite period of time. They come to an end and do not "roll over". No continuity of coverage.

If anyone knows of a "permanent" plan I would appreciate sharing of that information.

If anyone knows of a "permanent" plan I would appreciate sharing of that information.

Well, you have 4 companies providing individual expat medical insurance listed in the threads linked above.

You can start with Cigna International.

Here is an IPID form for one of their CGHO policies:

https://www.cignaglobal.com/dvc-pdfs/GENERIC-76/en/200302 IPID - Silver_UK_EN_05_2019.pdf

When does the cover start and end?

Your policy will be renewed automatically and payment taken unless you, or we in certain circumstances, choose not to renew.

To answer the original question
I have several clients that decided to go permanently back to Mexico and they cancelled Medicare. No sense in paying for something that you can't use anymore.
We did run into the issue that you can only cancel Medicare in person. One of my clients had already canceled his visa and was not able to return to do it, so he had to go to the embassy.
Ironic that at the SS office in the US he was able to take care of business in spanish but in the embassy in Mexico only in english.

My dad retired and lived in Costa Rica for a number of years and eventually became a resident of the country before he passed. He continued to use medicare for any major care he needed in the US and then he had a health plan in CR, not travel insurance, to cover costs for medical expenses. If you move abroad just make sure you get a will and trust created both in the US and host country. The reason being if you die without a will and trust, your airs could spend countless years and money trying to navigate through their legal system.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back