Health Care Open Enrollment

JimmyUt

Guru
1000 Post Club
Utah
Does the open enrollment period apply to all individual health insurance or just marketplace plans? I assume it is all plans and unless they have an SEP they are stuck? Am I right?

The "open enrollment period" applies to the ACA, aka Obamacare. There is special enrollment where if u lost coverage, got married, death in family, etc that can qualify you for a special enrollment.

There is also short term medical plans and also plans that are not ACA approved that you can buy at any time.

The "open enrollment period" applies to the ACA, aka Obamacare. There is special enrollment where if u lost coverage, got married, death in family, etc that can qualify you for a special enrollment.

There is also short term medical plans and also plans that are not ACA approved that you can buy at any time.

So in order to get a compliant plan and not be fined whether on or off exchange you are limited to open enrollment

Does the open enrollment period apply to all individual health insurance or just marketplace plans? I assume it is all plans and unless they have an SEP they are stuck? Am I right?

Unfortunately, OE is closed for all on/off Mktpl plans... Only option SEP
Getting 2016 coverage with a Special Enrollment Period https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage-outside-open-enrollment/special-enrollment-period/

I had a client email today disgruntled over the provider selection with her IMM plan. She had the same question...Am I stuck? :err: They own a business, so as an option, I can suggest a group plan with a better provider selection.

I assume it is all plans and unless they have an SEP they are stuck? Am I right?

"Yes & No".
Open enrollment ended 1.31.16.
Last week, I had a person call me about getting health insurance. I told them open enrollment ended. Without a "life event", they cant apply for MEC until next fall. No life event for them
They called the state exch. They got a 3.01.16 effective dates.
I asked how they were able to enroll outside the open enrollment?? They didn't know. The person at the state exch "took care of it".
I guess there is one set of rules for us nasty agents, and, another set of rules for state exch ee's.
Or, there is a double secret "life Event" code I'm not aware of??

"Yes & No".
Open enrollment ended 1.31.16.
Last week, I had a person call me about getting health insurance. I told them open enrollment ended. Without a "life event", they cant apply for MEC until next fall. No life event for them
They called the state exch. They got a 3.01.16 effective dates.
I asked how they were able to enroll outside the open enrollment?? They didn't know. The person at the state exch "took care of it".
I guess there is one set of rules for us nasty agents, and, another set of rules for state exch ee's.
Or, there is a double secret "life Event" code I'm not aware of??

I had a prospect call in Nov for a 12-1-15 eff date w/o life event. She said she was having surgery in Dec. I told her she'd have to wait until 1-1 to get MEC ins. She called HC.gov and they got her covered for 12-1. :skeptical: There must be a special BS code only used by navigators that we weren't apprised of in our training!!

This happened to me 5 times last year. No QLE to trigger the SEP, but I referred each to HC.gov and all of them said they were able to get coverage starting the next month.

Sadly, a client can call the first time and get "educated" on what to say the second time also.

Monday, I had a client call who switched plans on 1/25/16 for a 3/1 date. He called the HC.gov and asked some questions. THe rep went on about how the client needed to reset his password, then was suddenly disconnected. Turns out, the 3/1 plan has been cancelled and now client is SOL. Trying to get HC.gov to re-instate, but they are slow to do it. I am thinking new rep accidentally cancelled the plan then hung up.

We have a set of rules, HC.gov doesn't have any set of rules...

Turner, you may want to tell the government that.

Almost all of us have stories about clients without a valid SEP based on what they are telling us who miraculously are somehow enrolled at hc.gov when they call in.

Latest posts

Back