Health Ins. for Diabetic?

Aetna to my knowledge does not waiver in any states, even states that permit waivers like Texas.

I hear on this board all the time Aetna accepts diabetics but I don't see how that is mathematically possible for them to do and not go out of business.

I can tell you the states I write Aetna, TX, MI, OH, VA, IL I have never had a diabetic even considered - auto decline.

TX, perhaps you should share your knowledge with Aetna.

I have 2 diabetics & a bipolar with Aetna.

So with Aetna do I have a chance considering the husband is also on a blood pressure med?

So with Aetna do I have a chance considering the husband is also on a blood pressure med?

Only if Hell has frozen over.

Before Aetna will consider them that has to be their only issue. No smoking. Not overweight. No other health issues.

I can only speak of the states I represent and Aetna will NOT accept diabetics in my markets - they would be upside down in a big way.

Also in TX their plans are "consumer choice" i.e. mental health not covered and some other mandates do not need to be covered.

There are clearly some state variations - why Aetna would take any diabetics is beyond me unless there are some crazy state laws making them do such a thing.

In which states does Aetna have underwriting guidelines that state they decline diabetics?

aetna.jpg

They would have to be squeaky clean, low BMI - which most diabetics are not low BMI, and no other issues. The HBP and Diabetes is no dice with Aetna and the BMI factor which I think is 28 - I could be off on that a little.

It is very difficult to place diabetics anywhere in most states is all I am saying on a "major med".

Mini med / Risk Pool / HIPAA plans is a different ball game.

I would question how many Type II's turn into Insulin dependent at some point. I am not sure why Aetna would want this business as the claim risk is very high. I believe Diabetics should be on group, risk pool / hipaa to maintain coverage.

Back