Health Insurance Book of Business Valuation?

jmilber

Hey Guys,

Some guy is trying to sell me his very small block of individual & small group health insurance business. One flat payment, or maybe put a clause that if one of the 3 small group clients leave me he gets less or something because they make up 70% of the profit I realized. Health reform is very scary, but in my favor, CA recently agreed to let agents sell in the exchange and pay them competetively compared to out of exchange commissions. THat's good, I guess?

The book makes like $684/mo. I was thinking of offering $4500-$5000. Any thoughts on this? Am I over paying? Or is this a good deal that might pan out? The part that worries me most is that 3 small groups make up 70% of the income. Maybe $4000 flat and I take the risk is fair? Thanks for your feedback!

PS. In an email I wrote him, I cited the following as reasons why I don't think his book is worth much...

1.) I looked at Excel sheet, and 70% of your commission comes from three small group clients. That is very risky--- if one or more leaves, my whole investment is over. Small groups are worth much less than individuals because they can, and often do, switch brokers. 2 of them are from 2012 which means you haven't built much loyalty with them (let alone me).
2.) Locked into the new, lower commission brackets. In the past, 20/10 was standard. Now it's like 12/6 for most carriers or less.
3.) None of your business is grandfathered which raises likelihood that they won't get to keep their plan 2014
4.) A reasonable amount of your individual busienss is first year commission so residuals will get lower.
5.) I consider every month towards 2014 the book gets less and less valuable. If I purchased this in June, I would have had July and August and September commissions by now--- instead, you've gotten those commissions so to me the book is worth less every month I don't buy it.
6.) Health Reform!

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it. You'll only have 12-15 months to make the trail, which is just a few grand profit. And, that's if:

1. All like you as their new agent (factor in time to intro)
2. All can afford to keep it for the next 12 mo
3. All are higher income, otherwise they are exchange bound and you only get the biz if they like you and use you
4. If under 50 employee companies, high risk they will drop coverage. I don't do group, but I'm assuming they value their current agent, and you may not be what they like in a replacement.

I'd offer $2500k and 2 cheeseburgers

well bill lives in az, which is one of the only states with worst weather than fla, so he must of saved a lot of $$ by stating indoors when its daylight outside.

I would just take AOR's and screw the guy

I think that's very brave of you to admit that you would just screw a guy. In all fairness, you are in California, they do seem fairly progressive in that respect.

Before Health Care Reform, the going price for a book of business (in AZ where I live) was a full annual gross commission. Well, $684 x 12 = $8208. If you're paying him $4500-$5000, it's a good deal to start with. However, you said some of that is first year commission. And, of course, you also have to factor in the threat of Obamacare destroying it all.

I suggest that you buy the book in 2 segments. Buy the IFP business, based on RENEWAL commission value, and put up the money up front if you wish. Buy the group business based on a contingency. For instance, pay him 1/2 of the value every month (or every quarter) for the next two years.

You've got 15 months to recoup your investment, and you should recoup that and more. Cross sell them, if that's something that you do. If you're setting yourself up to be an expert in the new plans after 1/1/2014, those 15 months should give you enough time to persuade the client of your expertise. Financially, you should be able to at least break even. For marketing, the cross-sell and the client trust is more valuable than anything else.

Back