Health Insurance for FE Agents?

Exchange or no exchange eventually without subsidys you'll be paying $1500 -$3k a month for health insurance.

I have to believe most insurance agents write off a very high percentage of what they make, meaning they would be eligible for a tax credit on their insurance cost per month.

mileage, expenses, leads etc

Is it just me or does this sound preposterous ?

Which is why it's a hard decision for us. Her insurance is so good. Did you look at Jimmy's? His is about as good and it's a non-employer plan.

Exchange or no exchange eventually without subsidys you'll be paying $1500 -$3k a month for health insurance.

I have to believe most insurance agents write off a very high percentage of what they make, meaning they would be eligible for a tax credit on their insurance cost per month.

mileage, expenses, leads etc

I don't know your definition of "decent" but especially for those paying their own premium and claims, I define it as the lowest cost of premiums and claims combined. Every health agent I know in TN jumped on the HDHP plans when they came available. We also know enough to run the calculations at renewal and find out whether we should increase the OOP or buy it down. I bought down when I knew I would have a large claim. Those plans have been around for years and as expected, premiums are up where the copay plans were years ago. The reason is called trend. I hate it but also made lots of money because of it. Clients would get a 10% rate bump. We'd shop and/or modify the plan and still end up with a 5% revenue increase.

Premiums for a 61 yr old are $357/ month in TN. We were at $500 years ago before the HDHP plans became available. I figure health insurance is like buying glasses. You get the best fit you can but at the end of the day, you still wear glases.

I can get AGI down close especially in a down year or by shifting deductions and revenue around and having my wife postpone her checks but we have to add back things like SEP, HSA contributions and Self Employment tax to calculate MAGI.

----------

----------

I'm thankful that I stayed in the military long enough to retire. I only pay $45.00 per month for TRICARE for me and the family. Anyone can join the reserve's these days and get TRICARE for themselves AND their entire family for a couple hundred bucks per month.

Glad you like it. You earned it. I didn't but don't want it. Besides, they won't let us old farts in.

Back