Health Insurance for my Mother

lucho

Hello,

Here is my question. I am not very familiar with how health insurance and Medicare work so excuse my ignorance. I would like your input on what the best way to handle this scenario is.

I am a US resident, living in Colorado. I am not a citizen yet. My wife is a US citizen, she was born here. I am originally from Peru. My mother, who is 68 years old, still lives in Peru. She will soon get to an age where she will need a lot of attention. I would like to bring her over to Colorado to live here with me so I can take care of her. The problem I am having is in regards to health insurance for my mother. If she needs to go to the hospital it would cost a fortune without insurance. What are the options for her to get health insurance with decent coverage and not so expensive? With “not so expensive” I mean $200-$300 a month or less. I wouldn’t be able to afford more than that. I can petition her to come to the US and start the paperwork so she can become a US resident, if that makes a difference.

The questions are:

Being a resident, will she be able to qualify for Medicare since she is older than 65?
If not, are there any affordable options under Obamacare for this situation?
I have health insurance through my employer, for me and my family. Would my mother, who would live with me, qualify to be part of my plan?
Are there any other suggestions you may have?

Thank you. If you have any questions please let me know.

She would need to be a legal resident and she would have to pay for Medicare Parts A and B because she's not earned credits here. She could then look at Medicare Advantage or Medicare Supplements.

Since she would have to pay for Part A, I believe she would qualify to buy a plan on the healthcare exchange.

Good luck!

As long as she is legally here, she is required to buy health insurance.
As long as she is not eligible for medicare, she can buy an Obamacare policy.
If her income is low enough, and you don't claim her on your taxes, she may be eligible for tax credits.
If you claim her, your household income would factor into tax credit equation.

I presume that she'll be here as a permanent resident. You should apply for her as a dependent, which means she might be the only one covered through the Marketplace, not through your employer or your wive's employer, but you should apply for her, when including as information your family adjusted gross income and all family members. The income and family members together describe info for the level of subsidy.

What I saw in my state, IL: they apply simultaneously for Medicaid also, and when the rejection notice is issued, it is available/the notice/, for the Marketplace to prove, that no any other option was left.
Hope it helps.

At the moment no SSN, so any medicare not even an option...and no points accumulated with SSA. If she is healthy and under no treatment and if she will maintain a Peru address and has basic medical exam results from Peru then IMG Will let her apply for the worldwide plan. She can keep until she gets a SSN if she is in the states at time of renewal. Premium will be hefty. Or she can apply for off exchange plan in your state...your group plan wont allow her to be covered under your plan since no SSN...just my 2 cents

She has to be a LEGAL resident for 5 years before she can apply for Medicare. Once that is satisfied she will have to pay the Medicare Part A and B premiums before she can buy a supplement or Advantage plan.

Part A premiums are $407, Part B $105

Back