Health Insurance for Myself

ruin007

Expert
Buffalo
I am looking for health insurance for myself. I'm 25 years old and have no diagnosed health problems. That said, I did have about 50k in surgeries last year covered by my insurance. I have since moved to a new state, TN, and need new insurance coverage. I will probably have more expensive surgeries this year, so take that into consideration. I have no experience with health insurance, so I am looking to the pro's here. PM me with any suggestions or plans that may fit my needs, as I won't be checking this thread.
Andy

I don't think that I have what is considered a pre-existing condition but I may be wrong; that's the reason I wanted to talk to a professional. I have never been diagnosed with anything, and don't have anything scheduled for surgery, I'm just assuming that I will need some more. All tests that doctors have run have said I'm perfectly healthy. Looking for somebody who knows TN insurance plans to help me out with answering my questions and possibly selling me a policy. I am currently insured, but with an out of state provider that I will have to change. Thanks.
Andy

If you are expecting to have surgeries sometime in the near future then you have a pre-existing condition. You know you have a pricey procedure coming up and had surgeries before, therefore HI companies are going to look at that as part of the underwriting.

Care to disclose the condition that was treated? My earlier response was based on your thread starter. Now it appears you are flip-flopping.

didn't mean to flip-flop, guess i wasn't clear... anyway...

I had surgery for 2 dif. reasons last year. One reason was that I had two dif. septoplasties on my nose from basically destroying it playing sports. That was fairly expensive for my insurance co. but shouldn't be any more cost in the future.

The second reason is that I've had a problem with frequency of urination for the past 2 years, and docs haven't been able to figure out why. They have done multiple tests, but so far have not figured out anything is wrong, and have said that so far everything looks perfect. I go to physical therapy once a week for it, but that's it. This is why I am not sure if it is considered a pre-existing condition, because the doctors have given me a clean bill of health, but are probably going to continue to do tests. So if anybody looks at my health, they will see that I am perfectly healthy, but there are still probably going to be more tests to determine what is going on with my kidneys/bladder. Anyway, I hope that helps.

Like I said, I actually have 2 forms of insurance now... golden rule which is from TN and I am keeping as a family plan w/my gf, and Univera, which I love but won't keep me anymore since I moved out of NYS where they are based. That insurance runs up in 2 weeks. Non-smoker, don't know any other info needed.

Last edited:
You have an undiagnosed condition which will result in a decline or postponement.

Fair enough... quick follow up question then...

I have Golden Rule as part of a family plan. It is free for me, so I intend to keep it. It isn't very good though, as it is part of a company plan my gf has. I'm not really sure what a postponement is, but I'd be interested anyway since I don't need insurance to kick in today since I am already covered. Not sure if this is possible, but looking for good insurance if I can put off all the tests except physical therapy, which Golden Rule covers. Thanks for your time btw Somarco... hopefully there is something out there that someone knows of to help me.

If you have insurance now, you can't get PCIP

If GF stands for girlfriend, then I don't see how you're on her policy or vice versa unless state allows it.

If on a goldenrule policy, you are not on there for free.

If goldenrule covers physical therapy, then you probably own a pretty good plan, look into it further with an agent in TN

With urinary Pre-ex condition, you'll need to keep what you have until 2014. If you drink lots of water/coffee, frequent urination will result.

If you don't like these options, our president would love to hear from you.

If you have insurance now, you can't get PCIP

If GF stands for girlfriend, then I don't see how you're on her policy or vice versa unless state allows it.

If on a goldenrule policy, you are not on there for free.

If goldenrule covers physical therapy, then you probably own a pretty good plan, look into it further with an agent in TN

With urinary Pre-ex condition, you'll need to keep what you have until 2014. If you drink lots of water/coffee, frequent urination will result.

If you don't like these options, our president would love to hear from you.

well thanks for the info guys, guess I'll have to make do with what I have. GF does stand for girlfriend, but it's a common law thing as far as insurance goes I believe. In any case, I'm on it, and it's legal.

Thanks for the tip about not drinking much water though... if only my doctors had thought of that:1wink:.

Back