Health Insurance Marketing

Form alliances with other insurance/real estate/mtg/etc/accountants professionals who work with the public on a daily. Create brochures/biz cards to leave in their office.

In my local library, the librarians wear a button that says, "Ask Me." Also, I have seen those herbalife dorks with signs on their cars that say, "I lost 20 pounds---ask me how. Call 215-555-5555." Of course, you could go around and tear doen the Mega signs from the telephone poles and replace them with your own classy sign.:cool:

Well put. I agree with you. A lot of agents plan, plan, plan but you also have to work, work, work. Some wear themselves out planning but never work.

Start with your friends and relatives. Make your mistakes there. Then start with internet leads and walk and talk everywhere you go - all the time. Find out which internet lead companies sell the same leads to several different agents. Drop them. When you get people that ask you, "Why do you people keep bothering me?" it's time to switch lead companies. If you can, find out when that person made their inquiry. If it was 4 - 5 months ago, you know the lead company is selling the same leads over and over. (Yeah, some of them do that.)

Don't sign with a company that won't give you a release, and don't accept advances on health insurance. (Advances are money paid to you before the application is approved. Because so many health applications are rejected by the company, you will end up in a situation where you owe the agency a small fortune.)

Don't sell the the prospect a policy they can't afford. They will let it lapse and you will be charged back for the commission.

When you have a good lead, work it immediately. Best way to work it is to sell both life and health. That way you can tell your prospect that you have them covered when they get sick and when they die. Really push for referrals. Don't just get a name. Insist that your prospect call at least five friends or relatives while you are there with your already completed and signed health or life application. Make that prospect hand you the phone. When you have the new prospect on the phone, force them to agree to an appointment time. Be sure that the spouse is going to be there. If the new prospect refuses to co-operate, keep talking until they hang up on you. Then move on to the next one. Keep all five phone numbers so that you can call them back later.

Learn to play killer golf. Then join a Country Club and play with the high rollers: Doctors, Lawyers, and the super spenders. Let them win five rounds out of six, so they really think they have done something. Keep doing this, and then ask each one of them about their insurance coverage and tell them they need a professional review.

Sound Crazy? Well, the last two paragraphs exaggerate a wee bit. There are people in this business who make 1 - 2 hundred thousand a year. They go at it hard, all the time, and can read the people they deal with. You can't take no for an answer, AND IF YOU DON'T CLOSE THE FIRST TIME YOU ARE WITH THE PROSPECT, CHANCES ARE YOU HAVE WASTED YOUR MONEY - THE CLOSE WON'T HAPPEN. Sell on the first visit.

Heck, you say, only a jerk would do that! Well. I agree - but you have to have lots of energy, and be persistent to survive in this market. Oh, it helps to know your product so well that you have the right answers when they are asked.

And finally, remember, it is your license, not the company(ies):) you sell for.

Back