Health Insurance - Obesity Underwriting

mlfoo

Health Insurance - Can someone share with me how do you underwrite a person who is severely obese without rejecting the risk ? The applicant is 176cm and 125kg. I have actually declined the application but applicant don't mind if I impose an exclusion related to possible complication/treatment related to obesity. What do you think ? Any suitable exclusion to be imposed ?

If your prospect were to obtain a health insurance plan with an exclusion for any condition related to Obesity, you're putting him at great risk. Everything from a Stroke, to Heart Attack, to a Slip-and-fall injury would not be covered.

Best to put him on a state insurance pool if you have one available, or wait until the Federal Government's PCIP high-risk insurance is resurrected.

There are Congressional efforts underway to make that happen:
Story - GOP fast tracks bill to fortify ObamaCare's high-risk pools - The Hill's Healthwatch
-ac

dude, are u serious?!?!? Let's talk pounds, feet, and inches. I once wrestled overseas in Finland and did the metric thing but that stuff is hard to figure out.

dude, are u serious?!?!? Let's talk pounds, feet, and inches. I once wrestled overseas in Finland and did the metric thing but that stuff is hard to figure out.

So true. Their simple metric system, that is based on the decimal system is still difficult to Americans. We like 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, 640 acres in a square mile, 2 pints in a quart yet 4 quarts in a gallon, etc. They like a simple unit measurement like a meter or a gram that you can multiply or divide by 10's to get micro, milli, centi, deci, deca, hecto, kilo, or mega. I still can't drive in Canada and figure out how many kilometers I'm driving per hour.

CUL has a hospital indemnity plan that is guarantee issue as long as the client is working 30 hours a week. It has state limitations, but would at least give the client some form of coverage. Other than that, you probably have to wait until the ACA kicks in fully.

Back