Health Insurance-outside of Marketplace

I'm understanding that now. I guess I'll just lie and say I don't have insurance even though I have a ACA plan.

I've seen this more frequently in the last year or so here in California.

Doctor's office won't accept Covered CA. Office won't accept cash payments from patients who have Covered CA health plan, even if wiling to pay.

Have to assume there is a reason for this beyond just the provider not liking ACA.

I seriously believe its the docs way of trying to undermine ACA.

And that's fine.

----------

Us health and insurance in same sentence is not allowed.

Y just won the forum for today and its not even 9am in Arizona...

So to my earlier question. Can I carry a USHealth plan in order to see my doctor and also an ACA plan for anything major that might arise? Legal or not legal?

So to my earlier question. Can I carry a USHealth plan in order to see my doctor and also an ACA plan for anything major that might arise? Legal or not legal?

I would get back with the agent who went over it with you but this is straight from the brochure of the Premier Choice, page 3:

• Each plan pays in addition to any coverage You have in force.

But I do not understand why your doctor would not accept cash payment. I thought cash was king! Good luck.

Just found out last night that Vanderbilt Uninversity Medical Center will not be participating in any ACA plans inside or outside the marketplace for 2018. I believe this will also include the Williamson Medical Center and all its doctors. That’s an incredibly large provider block here in middle Tennessee. Clearly they are purposely trying to collapse the ACA. So everyone here in middle Tennessee that relies on the ACA has a big problem for 2018.

Last edited:
Any health plan should provide, at least, the essential health benefits which include hospitalization among other benefits. I think these may cost more than most pre-existing conditions. You may check this about insurance outside the marketplace: Health Insurance Plans Outside the Marketplace - Marketplace A+

First sentence of your website is wrong:

"The only way you can enroll in health insurance plans outside the marketplace open enrollment is if you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period. You can find these plans through some insurance companies, agents, brokers, and online health insurance sellers. "

False . . .

You have to think outside the box. We like plans that have cozy copays for our in network docs, but those are more rare now.
Almost no ACA compliant plans with copays will beat an HSA if a comparison is made of the potential out of pocket vs premium savings put into an HSA.
The Swiss cheese holes in the non compliant plans are pretty big, and as Yagents pointed out, could be much worse than self paying some prescriptions and doc visits, especially if those could be paid with tax free money with an HSA.
The non ACA compliant plans like to say things like copays and how they pay 80% of something, but if one looks deeper it's not at all how that would work on a compliant plan.
Mark Twain said there's a lot of difference between lightning and a lightning bug.

Back