Health Insurance PA to NJ - Pregnancy

daysable

Hi there,
My girlfriend and I want to start trying to have a baby in Novemeber/December of this year. We currently live in PA but we will be moving to south jersey in April. I currently work in the city, but she is a freelancer, so she pays for individual health insurance through blue cross of PA. If pregnancy is successful prior to April, will we be able to move and have her switch to blue cross of NJ? I was told that blue cross of PA is different than blue cross of NJ and a switch wouldn't be possible because pregnancy is looked at as a pre-exisiting condition so she won't be able to switch while pregnant.
Is this true?? A pregnant woman can't move between states if she pays for individual insurance without being dropped??

Also another question related to this. We are a same sex couple and plan to get a civil union once we move to NJ. I work in Philadelphia, would I be able to put her on my insurance when that time comes? Wasn't sure of this since I'll be working in a state that doesn't recognize civil unions.

Thanks for your help guys!

Hi there,
My girlfriend and I want to start trying to have a baby in Novemeber/December of this year. We currently live in PA but we will be moving to south jersey in April. I currently work in the city, but she is a freelancer, so she pays for individual health insurance through blue cross of PA. If pregnancy is successful prior to April, will we be able to move and have her switch to blue cross of NJ? I was told that blue cross of PA is different than blue cross of NJ and a switch wouldn't be possible because pregnancy is looked at as a pre-exisiting condition so she won't be able to switch while pregnant.
Is this true?? A pregnant woman can't move between states if she pays for individual insurance without being dropped??

Assuming NJ is not a guaranteed-issue state (maybe a NJ agent can chime in here), then....

As long as she is on the PA Blue Cross Plan for at least 3 months, she should be able to affect a T-6 Inter Plan Transfer from PA Blue to NJ Blue. Inter Plan transfer is a conversion option available under the BCBS Association rules and Blue NJ would be required to offer her an individual conversion plan with no underwriting based on the T-6 (Statement of Eligibility) from PA Blue. It's a carrier to carrier transfer direct sale with no agents allowed.

Also another question related to this. We are a same sex couple and plan to get a civil union once we move to NJ. I work in Philadelphia, would I be able to put her on my insurance when that time comes? Wasn't sure of this since I'll be working in a state that doesn't recognize civil unions.

Thanks for your help guys!

Will depend on if your employer allows domestic partners or partners under civil unions. Check with the employer.

Back