Health Insurance Through Spouse or Marketplace?

muzicman82

Hi all,

My wife's employer offers health insurance. Because I work for a small business, they aren't required to provide coverage. I was previously covered through the Marketplace but then moved to her coverage once we got married 2 years ago.

Now, reviewing costs, it appears that her coverage for 2018 is going to be $700/month for the two of on PPO. But, if it were just her, it would be less than $250/month. So it seems like her employer covers some cost for her, and then I'm full price? Or is it possible that her employer is using my coverage to recoup costs?

I also don't have in front of me what the other plans cover compared to the PPO, but the other plans offered to her are $100/$400 (single/couple) and $80/$350. Should a couple's coverage cost $8,500/year? Yes, I know it beats covering costs out of pocket...

I can't check rates yet because it isn't open enrollment, but I don't think my own insurance plan would be over $400/month.

Taxes aside, the healthcare is over 30% of her take home wages. This seems high.

Am I better off getting my own coverage? I just don't know how these rates compare to other employers and such.

You may be in for a surprise when checking rates.

I just checked current rates for my location by indicating I had lost current coverage and I get a price range of $550 to $700 for single coverage.

When I previously had independent coverage, it was around $225/month, but I realize rates are going up maybe 40% every year. I'm not sure how my plan compared to wife's PPO.

I'm 35. Wife is 33. Neither of us has any existing medical conditions.

But, I don't think her employer factors that. I think the rates are the same for everyone across the board.

My last employer (150-200 emps) created four buckets.
Employee
Employee and dependent
Employee and spouse
Family

But charges for all ages in those groups were averaged together for the premiums.

My wife's employer just used employee and family buckets.

Back