Health policy for 88 year old immigrant?

G

I asked before but no one had any ideas. I have more details.

"Client" is from Vietnam... is a US citizen... owns a beauty salon. She wants to bring her 88 year old father here to the USA and has a lawyer and all the immigration paperwork should be done in a few months.

He will live with her or one of her sisters (I love he Asian cultures as they REALLY take care of their relatives) and she will pay for whatever coverage he can get.

I told her I could not find a company who would write him a major med at that age.

I advised:

1. Call the HICAP office and see if he can buy-in to Medicare (she can afford to pay the premiums).

2. Contact social services and see if he can enroll in Medicaid (MediCal here in CA). She said that was welfare and was opposed. I said "You pay your taxes, take the benefit." I'm not sure immigrants qualify (legal or not.)

3. Hire him to sweep the floors and open the mail and after 3 to 6 months he will be eligible for section 125 (I think?) benefits (cafeteria) which she pays for for her independent contractors (hair cutters, manicuritsts, etc.)

Is there anything else I can tell her or that I can do for her father (whom she says is in pretty good health.)

Can he still get 'final needs' insurance at 88? From whom?

Thanks,

Al

http://tripmedical.com

Click on SelectaPlan. Only individual plan I know of that will cover someone that age that is not tied to Medicare.

The Governator will be covering aliens from this planet and others before too long. That might be an option.

somarco said:
http://tripmedical.com

Click on SelectaPlan. Only individual plan I know of that will cover someone that age that is not tied to Medicare.

Maybe I didn't read the site correctly, but this is only travel insurance.... and only good for 11 months. They want something permanent for the father.

How about final need (low DB term life)? It won't help in health but it will help later on. Will anyone write this at age 88? I doubt it.

Al

You didn't read it correctly.

The Patriot America plan is available in 12 month increments. Coverage is good worldwide. For an 88 year old from Vietnam the premium ranges from $3200 - $5715 for a 12 month term depending on the deductible selected.

I believe there is a waiting period before they can buy in to Medicare. The group plan idea might work. (I have a Korean family that has done that to cover their parents).

Just another option.

somarco said:
You didn't read it correctly.

The Patriot America plan is available in 12 month increments. Coverage is good worldwide. For an 88 year old from Vietnam the premium ranges from $3200 - $5715 for a 12 month term depending on the deductible selected.

I believe there is a waiting period before they can buy in to Medicare. The group plan idea might work. (I have a Korean family that has done that to cover their parents).

Just another option.

What does this mean (taken from the Patriot America site):

Code:
Patriot America provides coverage for non-US citizens traveling outside their country of citizenship for a minimum of 5 days up to a maximum of two years. If the plan is purchased for a minimum of three months, coverage may be renewed (without break in coverage) for a total of up to two years. For those age 65 and over visiting the USA, your initial Period of Coverage must begin within 30 days of your arrival in the USA.

Does this mean you can buy 2 years and then renew for another 2 years.... 4 years all toll? Is that what it says? It does it mean you get 2 years total .... and that's it.

Thanks,

Al

Go back and follow the SelectaPlan computation. At age 88 the only option is for 1 year. At the end of the year they can renew for 1 more year.

You are already aware of other options.

A quick look indicates foreign nationals can buy in to the Medicare program after they have lived in the US for 5 years.

This IMG plan is the only major med plan I am aware of that will cover a foreign national at age 88. There are bridge plans for foreign nationals, but none that I know of that will issue over age 80.

If you dont like the IMG plan, and CA doesn't have anything yet, then a group plan is the only other alternative.

Did a little more digging and found a plan thru Petersen that will cover foreign nationals for 5 years until they can qualify for Medicare. Last issue age is 84.

somarco said:
Did a little more digging and found a plan thru Petersen that will cover foreign nationals for 5 years until they can qualify for Medicare. Last issue age is 84.

Petersen?

The IMG plan looks good. They pay 15% commission.

There is another company called InboundUSA but for the life of me I can't seem to find who is behind them. Looks like it is Loyds of London... and I doubt I can get appointed by them... at least I didn't see anything about it on the Loyds site.

Thanks for all your help. If I can get this woman something for her father I'll be doing a good service for her... and if I don't make any money on it, no big deal. I figure that what goes around... comes around.

Al

http://www.piu.org

Lloyds products are offered in the states via surplus lines brokers such as Petersen, Brougher & other underwriters.

Lloyds is a non-admitted carrier. There is no appointment as such. You go thru a SLB and they comp you for selling the products.

somarco said:
http://www.piu.org

Lloyds products are offered in the states via surplus lines brokers such as Petersen, Brougher & other underwriters.

Lloyds is a non-admitted carrier. There is no appointment as such. You go thru a SLB and they comp you for selling the products.

I contacted Peterson and they will only write up to age 84, but their site makes no mention of the InboundUSA product. They have something called International Medical Plan:
http://piu.org/international_medical_insurance.html
with an age 84 limit. I wrote them back asking about the InboundUSA plan.

I also contacted IMGlobal which looks like my best shot. Their appointment process is simple and quick.

Al

Back