HealthAmerica One Individual Plans

arnguy

Guru
5000 Post Club
I was solicited via email by them today. Do any of you you guys/gals have any experience or thoughts about them? This product is being introduced in Southeastern PA. I believe HealthAmerica One is part of Coventry, but I am not familiar with either of those companies. I will appreciate your input.

come on....I bit the bullet on the $2 life leads....it's your turn......tell us how it goes...

HealthAmerica/HealthAssurance Home Page

I believe there are comments on Coventry in other threads. Based on what they did in GA and a few other states, they roll in with low rates, liberal underwriting and pushing mostly copay plans.

After 90 days or so the party is over and instead of issuing 90% of the apps at standard rates they drop back to 60% or so.

They have been in GA for about a year now and their street rates are still competitive (including renewals). Where they zap you is in underwriting.

If you have sneezed in the last 6 months that is a 25% rate up.

Sman submitted an app to them on a guy injured in a motorcycle accident 3 yrs earlier with full recovery. No other medical issues and they declined him because "he is a high risk individual who might have another accident".

I had a client with a history of 2 prior cancers. Every carrier I polled indicated they would not take her.

I never considered Coventry.

She went to another agent who applied with Coventry.

Approved, with a 25% rate up for cholesterol meds.

Aetna, Blue, Time, GR, H1 and KP all turned her down.

If you can deal with that kind of underwriting, you may have found someone you can love.

Arnguy,
I've written a few with them out here in central PA. Underwriting is supposed to be more lenient than others (but that has not always been my experience). They do not rider, but will rate up - frequently. Renewals are atrocious (sp). On the plus side their name is highly recognized around here.

Wilkin -

How long have they been writing in PA?

We are just now seeing the first renewal. Coming in around 18% which is still below market.

Not surprising, since their initial foray put them probably 30% below market for the level of benefits offered.

I'm licensed with Coventry, but have never heard of them, unless I was too wrapped up in the Imerica in-and-out to notice.

:skeptical:

#1, is it worth it for me to add them, or not.

:embarrassed:

Nevermind, I just looked them up. They ARE coventry.

Back