Healthmarkets vs. Assurant, Should I Switch?

ozmo

Expert
I am currently with Helathmarkets and looking to switch. I have GA who can get me get appointed with Assurant at 15% (I mention that because I don't know if that is good or bad.)
Obviously, I like the way Assurant pays on annualized premium, but need some feedback on their product(s.) It seems like premiums are a little on high side and wondering if or how much better these are Mega/Midwest/Healthmarkets.
Also it would seem I should want to carry more products with or without GA or IMO?????.
I am in California and need to be pointed in right direction and fast (need to make money) any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Thanks

In CA you want:

Aetna
Anthem Blue Cross
Blue Shield
Health Net
Kaiser
Pacificare

Note that if you need commission advances you won't be writing in CA since most carriers do not offer them.

That is where I am getting stuck...it appears that premiums for Assurant and even health markets are way out of whack. I quote a 35 year old healthy male and I am about $100 give or take higher than an Anthem/Healthnet/Aetna...am I missing something here, other than the Healthmarket company line that they are not going to pay claims and rate increase you every minute. When I use Quotit engines the main line companies seem far more affordable?????
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OK, so now the Catch 22...the products that make upfront money are not competitive. The competitive products don't pay upfront. I need money, but have a heavy conscience and want to do what is best. Should I be looking for GA or IMO who offers both life and health and sell some life with the savings from selling the less expensive premiums???? Any suggestions on IMO or GA I should be talking to in Southern California???

Last edited:
Send an email to me at insure(at)greensky(dot)com and include your phone number. We can discuss what works and what doesn't work here in CA.

Rick

That is where I am getting stuck...it appears that premiums for Assurant and even health markets are way out of whack. I quote a 35 year old healthy male and I am about $100 give or take higher than an Anthem/Healthnet/Aetna...am I missing something here, other than the Healthmarket company line that they are not going to pay claims and rate increase you every minute. When I use Quotit engines the main line companies seem far more affordable?????
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OK, so now the Catch 22...the products that make upfront money are not competitive. The competitive products don't pay upfront. I need money, but have a heavy conscience and want to do what is best. Should I be looking for GA or IMO who offers both life and health and sell some life with the savings from selling the less expensive premiums???? Any suggestions on IMO or GA I should be talking to in Southern California???

You bet it's a catch 22.
Look, your obviously new to the game and in that there is no shame.
Don't sell plans because of advance commish. That is a losing approach to this. You will build nothing. Sell and service quality. If you have to take a paper route or mow lawns part time until you build up your book of business, believe me in the long haul it will be worth it.
Otherwise, you sell that garbage just for the advance money, you will have 0 client retention, they will want to rip your face off, you will become disillusioned and leave the industry while some other newby comes in to take your place. Many shotty insurance companies, in particular the 2 you mentioned work this way. Companies recruit sales people by a) offering advance money on plans that don't cover much or b) by offering plans of value within the market place that yes, typicaly pay as earned commission. There are few exceptions to this. Forget about walking in cold and coming out with 100 large in your first year. Ain't gonna happen. Build your book the right way?
Peace.

I am currently with Helathmarkets and looking to switch. I have GA who can get me get appointed with Assurant at 15% (I mention that because I don't know if that is good or bad.)
Obviously, I like the way Assurant pays on annualized premium, but need some feedback on their product(s.) It seems like premiums are a little on high side and wondering if or how much better these are Mega/Midwest/Healthmarkets.
Also it would seem I should want to carry more products with or without GA or IMO?????.
I am in California and need to be pointed in right direction and fast (need to make money) any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Assurant is good in certain niche situations. But yes, you should be looking for a new GA or just go out on your own. 15% is no good.

Anything that says Mega Life/Health Markets/UICI/Midwest National just save yourself and your clients a lot of hassle and run the other way.

Back