Heart Murmor

bluemarlin08

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have a referral that is 50, NS, 6ft 2, 175, no meds, but 12 years ago a family doc told him he had a slight heart murmor. Doc didn't treat him and has not had any problems or findings of a murmor since. Never had a cardiac work up. Would you apply first with Assurant, since in my state they only ask questions concerning conditions the past 5 years besides cancer. I fear other carriers will want him to have a cardiac workup, what are your opinions?

I don't think his heart murmur will be a problem with most carriers since its functional.

I know with Humana he would be standard. The other carriers may be a slight rate up or standard also. Best thing to do is call the underwriting department and ask.

In WI every other company most likely will pull records. Does he have coverage now or if not, has he had a physical in the last two years? I know Humana supposedly stopped requiring that, but they will pull records along with most other carriers. Golden Rule probably won't rider him, but will most likely rate standard. Anthem/BCBS will rate standard. If Assurant is even close or lower premium, save your customer and you a lot of grief and go Assurant.

It depends on what carrier you're using. If the application specifically states "in the last 10 years" then your client won't have to list it.

Sounds like the doc might of just made an unofficial dx anyways since there were no tests or followup.

IMO go with a company that won't require it to be listed.

I've gone down this road before. Heart Murmurs are actaully a big deal with most carriers. Depending on the exact type. I would write him Assurant.

I have a referral that is 50, NS, 6ft 2, 175, no meds, but 12 years ago a family doc told him he had a slight heart murmor. Doc didn't treat him and has not had any problems or findings of a murmor since. Never had a cardiac work up. Would you apply first with Assurant, since in my state they only ask questions concerning conditions the past 5 years besides cancer. I fear other carriers will want him to have a cardiac workup, what are your opinions?

1st of all, if the condition is present is needs to go on the app - even if it hasn't been treated in the past five years.

Take an example of mild scoliosis - present at birth - never really an issue - no treatement in say 20 years. Yet if it's present it's on the app.

Last edited:
2nd of all, with the information given why would you have to list it on the application?

Dr said he had a "slight" heart murmor and proceeded to not order a cardiac workup or treatment. If 12 years have passed without evidence of a heart murmor or any treatment I wouldn't put it on my application.

There are health companies that ask the question in this context: "have you ever" in those cases I totally agree with you.

You would be totally in the right to not put it on the application imo.

What a wide range of answers.

As usual, it will vary depending on your state . . .

I have quite a few clients with murmur's. Some cardiologists estimate as many as 80% of the population will have a murmur.

Most are benign, Grade 1, and require no treatment. If your client is instructed to take antibiotics before dental work then it is something that should be noted.

You said "Doc didn't treat him and has not had any problems or findings of a murmor since"

Most apps ask if a condition has been diagnosed or treated in the last 5/10 yrs.

In this case it is neither.

If it makes you feel better, disclose it on the app.

I have never had a carrier order medical records on a murmur, except when treated prophylacticly using something like Atenolol. In both cases it became an issue and resulted in a decline.

Based on what you have posted,

Aetna would probably be standard.

GR would be standard or possibly preferred.

Humana would be standard.

Can't speak for Blue or other carriers (such as Time since Time does not address it in their underwriting guide).

I agree, if it's been over the 10 year mark wouldn't disclose it, especially since a family doc diagnosed it without a complete cardiac workup.

I highly suggest you call a few underwriters tomorrow and ask the differrence between a client filling out an app without an agent and an agent's field UW responsiblies when they possess pre-ex knowledge. The answers here are astounding and disheartening.

Back