Heart Murmor

Talked with some folks today. GR stated that they would want a current cardiac workup. Blue Cross said the same. Not an UW, but my contact with Assurant suggested letting the client complete the on line app and answer the questions exactly as asked. My current thoughts are to have the client apply with Assurant, hopefully get issued, then apply with BC because that is the company he wants to be with. However, the way BC does pre ex, I wouldn't be comfortable being with them. Having a murmor and then if he had a MI or stroke in the first year, is it likely they would deny the claim? In addition, the client wants to apply for a million dollar term policy, I suggested we hold up until the health insurance is completed because for sure the murmor will be on MIB.

While we are on UW outcomes. I got a feeling taking a narcotic is probably a straight decline, probably across the board. But, does anyone know any company that will issue a policy to a person taking a narcotic (vicodin) for as needed use. I know Assurant would decline, World would decline. Not sure about Humana, GR or Aetna. Thanks.

PS Vicodin prescribed for pain from back surgery with hardware 7 yo. I know this is a rider.

Diagnosis from family doc with no formal work up = postponment. The underwriters will want to know what testing was used to determine the "slight" heart murmur diagnoses.

And here's UW 101; anytime you say the word "heart" they are going to make sure it's properly underwritten. Expect an APS at best.

This, of course, changes if it was a solid diagnoses with the proper testing. Then it should sail through.

Last edited:
Pain mgmt (as in Vicodin) is almost impossible to get underwritten. I have a few with KP but they are the exception more than the rule.

Your association guru will probably find reason to argue that point.

When he offers discounts on gasoline I might join.

As for the murmur, unless you spoke to an underwriter your answer is worthless. The marketing reps for carriers usually don't have a clue. When I have a question such as yours, I take it direct to underwriters. They are the ones who make the decisions on these cases, not the sales dogs.

Last edited:
Bob - Your post was just disussing a heart murmur in general. I read the entire post and had to correct you that this would be a postponed - never preferred or stardard with GR or anyone else.

No harm no foul - you would have been correct if a formal diagnoses would have been determined after proper testing.

Join up Bob - I'm holding a UW class on Friday - you might pick up something.

My .02 on the murmur. After reading your description again, I would say, If the doctor has run EKG's and listened to his heartbeat as part of a routine physical (and is coded that way) and has found no signs of the murmur in the last ten years, then it doesn't exist and the customer passes on the "signs, symptoms, treatment, testing or consultations" in the last ten years test. In this case, the agent has no obligation to disclose it since it also passes the pre-ex test.
If the doctor told his patient " as part of this physical I'm going to run an EKG to see if you still have that murmur or if it came back", then it is a consultation, and must be disclosed. This is doubly true if the test was coded as diagnostic. If the guy has taken antibiotics B4 dental in the last ten years, then it must be disclosed in the Rx in the last ten years section. Unless the company has an "ever" clause, it sounds like everyone is in the clear. As an agent, I'm not obligated to disclose it anymore than I would be for a broken arm when the guy was 3 yrs old, unless the condition is on a list supplied in the agent guide as a "lifetime disclosure".
:GEEK:

Back