Heartland National ?

Manhattan & Heartland National ?

I just relocated to South Carolina and Manhattan and Heartland Nation keeps coming in as second or third cheapest med sup for my area. I am thinking of contracting with them but would like to hear what you all think of them , good, bad and indiferrent. Ive been looking through threads but it seems they are all older threads. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I just relocated to South Carolina and Heartland Nation keeps coming in as second or third cheapest med sup for my area. I am thinking of contracting with them but would like to hear what you all think of them , good, bad and indiferrent. Ive been looking through threads but it seems they are all older threads. Thanks in advance

They're closely tied to Equitable(who is the TPA for them). Some of their products and executives are the same. They're re-insured by MoO. Their commissions are on the low side. They have a Med Supp offered through their Senior Savers Association. The rates are hard to beat, but it's a Group Certificate ...not a policy, so the whole group can be cancelled. If this happened, the people with this coverage would be eligible for GI.

They're closely tied to Equitable(who is the TPA for them). Some of their products and executives are the same. They're re-insured by MoO. Their commissions are on the low side. They have a Med Supp offered through their Senior Savers Association. The rates are hard to beat, but it's a Group Certificate ...not a policy, so the whole group can be cancelled. If this happened, the people with this coverage would be eligible for GI.

I just received an email blast announcing they are pulling all their Modernized Plans an will now only offer their association plans. Sounds like the may have figured out that this may be a way they buy business the first year of two, close out the block and come out with a new block at cheap rates while raising the premiums on the old block.... Back to the future?

I just received an email blast announcing they are pulling all their Modernized Plans an will now only offer their association plans. Sounds like the may have figured out that this may be a way they buy business the first year of two, close out the block and come out with a new block at cheap rates while raising the premiums on the old block.... Back to the future?

Yep, I've got them, but doubt I'll use them unless there's a situation where they're my only option. Heartland didn't waste much time raising their premiums on the block they're now closing. I didn't have too many with them and was able to move the ones I did.

I guess that would explain the 10.7% average rate increase history, according to CSG.

I guess that would explain the 10.7% average rate increase history, according to CSG.

When I ran CSG for zips in my area its only showing a 3.9% increase which is in lockstep with almost all the other carriers coming in the top 5. That's why I was asking because I have no experience with them

When I ran CSG for zips in my area its only showing a 3.9% increase which is in lockstep with almost all the other carriers coming in the top 5. That's why I was asking because I have no experience with them
Varies by state i guess. I don't have the national subscription. Double digit increases here though.

Heartland has been pretty good to us and our agents from the beginning. All that has been mentioned is true, however I would argue that none of it is so alarming as to keep us from giving it some recommendation. Heartland's processing times of contracts and applications, ease of submission process, and quality home office service have made our experience with them very favorable.

Just for clarification, the group/association offering is only Heartland. Manhattan and Equitable still use individual policies.

Heartland isn't competitive in GA so I never considered them. Also, the association structure is a negative to me. They don't have to cancel the association. Much easier to do what other carriers have done and close that block then introduce a new rate structure. Probably a lot easier to do that with the association.

We are closing Heartland National Association 1 and replacing with Heartland National Association 2.

But they don't even have to close Association 1, just raise rates through the roof and start promoting Association 2.

MET plans did this a lot in the 70's. BFAW (later Corroon and Black) had Red NET then Green NET then Black NET. Each had different rules and different rates.

Back