Hello and Thanks! - Mid-career Changer Here

First, a big thanks to those of you in the business still on these forums fielding all of the newb questions for probably the millionth time!

My name is Michael.

I am what would be considered mid-career at this point. I still have a full-time job (consulting/technical sales/mgmt.) I work remotely and I make a pretty good income from it. In fact, I would say it is not a bad gig at all.

But, being in my late 40s, with the first half of my productive life behind me, I have been thinking about a few things for the past couple of years.

• There is no such thing as job security...especially in the tech industry where I work.
  • Although I make a good income now and have some savings...if I were to lose my job I know it would be tougher to land a similar position that wouldn't require a significant amount of time in airports and on the road.
  • I would really like to begin building something that is MINE...that I could potentitally have my sons work with me in....that would be a real legacy (financial and otherwise).

All of the soul-searching, researching and my background have lead me to selling Insurance as the vehicle that can deliver if I do the work.

At this point, I am finishing up the pre-licensing course for LH&A and test on August 9th.

I have joined the ILIAA/MedTng101 site and have been reading everything I can find there and here on these forums.

I will try to post and contribute where I can as I gain experience.

Wishing everybody a great second-half of 2017!

BR,
Michael

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I have a question about ILIAA. What are the pros and cons of this membership? Wouldn't you be better off learning from someone else in a company that will teach you hands on?

I would recommend ILIAA/MedTng101 to anybody considering selling Life or Health insurance. If you browse the many threads on on this board, the team that runs those sites also has a long history of contributing here. Plenty of gold for new agents to discover. They are all also very accessible either through the sites or on this board, which I think is pretty cool. If you think about it, 20 or 30 years ago, you really wouldn't have had this wealth of information at you fingertips.

As for cons, I don't really have any. I mean, what is there to criticize?...I am far ahead in my practical education due to those sites, this forum and talking with other agents. And, if you don't find what you need there, you can always cancel...it is not like you are locked in.

As far as getting this type of information from a company (I assume you mean captive agency)....I value my independence. I want to be able to control my book and service my clients with the best possible product for them...not just what is on the menu of the company that I am locked into.

That said, the captive route may be great for somebody that needs a lot of hand-holding or wants the security of working for a name-brand company, so I am not knocking it...it just isn't for me.

However, working with a local independent agent that is experienced selling the type of insurance you want to sell and offers the kind of training you are looking for would actually be a great idea. I think you will find many on this board that offer that type of mentoring. To me, this would be a much better option than being captive with a name-brand company.

If you are really new like me, I would just say keep your mind open about this and explore your options, gather info. wherever you can, and eventually you will settle into the path you want to take.

Sorry if this was a bit of a ramble....one thought led to another..:)

----------

Thank you, johndf.

I have joined the ILIAA/MedTng101 site and have been reading everything I can find there and here on these forums.

Welcome, if you have any questions or need further guidance make sure to reach out to us!

I have a question about ILIAA. What are the pros and cons of this membership?

I would write a long winded response listing pros and cons but I think “MSN” has already done that :D

I would recommend ILIAA/MedTng101 to anybody considering selling Life or Health insurance. If you browse the many threads on on this board, the team that runs those sites also has a long history of contributing here. Plenty of gold for new agents to discover. They are all also very accessible either through the sites or on this board, which I think is pretty cool. If you think about it, 20 or 30 years ago, you really wouldn't have had this wealth of information at you fingertips.

As for cons, I don't really have any. I mean, what is there to criticize?...I am far ahead in my practical education due to those sites, this forum and talking with other agents. And, if you don't find what you need there, you can always cancel...it is not like you are locked in.

Thank you, guys, for the shout outs on ILIAA and MT101, together with Rick Bronstein, Nick Perry, myself and Todd King on the forum, we've really been working hard on the site to make it more mobile friendly, easier to navigate, and provide crisp content to help agents become successful in their market.

It honestly makes us all happy to hear that we've helped people launch their careers and become successful in their given markets, from the bottom of our hearts. It is a supreme joy to read this!

Back