Hello from Phoenix, Arizona

rebiii

Hi,

I'm from Phoenix, Arizona. I've never sold life insurance! I found this forum because I'm getting emails from AIL and other companies, and googled what they were. I found a thread from a while back on this forum. (I can't post the link because I don't have 20 posts.) Sounds like AIL is not recommended by most people.

I'm here to find out what is recommended. Off to post in the "Getting started" forum... Best, Bob

Thanks, BadTrout.

I'm about as raw as you can get. I'm just poking around to find out what this is.

So AIL is a carrier, with their own line of products, and if I work for them, I'm stuck with what they offer? That's what I get out of what you said.

Does that mean you recommend opening a brokerage? I feel like I'm light years away from that. I haven't made a single insurance sale. I don't even know the difference between products. Where do you recommend I look? Should I work for AIL, just to learn some terminology and basic skills? I do have fundraising experience, some of it high-dollar. I know how to ask for money.

EDIT: Reread your post and saw "find" a good brokerage. Good advice. I'll start looking. Best.

No no sorry, let me explain... There are life brokerages... These are organizations that will actually in most cases offer support, and a higher than retail commission for selling products from the carriers they offer.

Why did you get an insurance license? What products interest you? Do you have any money set aside?

Rick

Didn't know I needed an insurance license. So your reply puts me farther down the line than when I started the day.

I got unsolicited emails to sell with AIL because my resume is on a job board.

As far as products, I am a total newbie. A lot of times people think that newbie means "dumb." Not the case. You could put most people behind a McDonalds grill and they'd be failures their first day. There's a learning curve for everything.

I guess my best answer is that I'd like to sell a mix of products. From the very little I know, I would like to have options to offer people high-dollar products when appropriate, but also sell lesser plans to have a more reliable income at first. Is there a good glossary on this site?

I do have experience at cold calling in a fundraising environment, but I'd prefer to work with leads if possible. How are they generated? I know nothing.

I'm also from Phoenix and was in the insurance business from about 1973 to 2006 (retired).

Didn't know I needed an insurance license.

Yes.

Every state requires a license to sell any kind of insurance.

The Arizona Department of Insurance has a "producers" page with all the information you need about an insurance agent's license and the educational requirements.

https://insurance.az.gov/producers

Before you start looking for markets or employers you'll need to meet the educational requirements and get licensed.

Back