Hello from Virginia!

Dec 24, 2008

1. kromedome

kromedome New Member

Hello everyone!

My name is Mike and I will soon be jumping with both feet into the insurance industry.

I have thought about this for a long time but was somewhat secure, if a little unhappy, in a job in the semiconductor manufacturing industry. I have spent about 15 years in that industry as an equipment technician, repairing robots and other electronics. I had avoided the layoffs that the industry is so famous for until now. I will be let go in February. Fear not! I am quite happy with the turn of events. I am in my late 30s, have a wonderful family and a comfortable life (for now). I have much to be thankful for!

Having pondered my fate (layoff) since finding out about it in November, I have decided to not pursue another electronics technician job (even though I am good at it) and have decided to take the risk involved in starting over in a new industry. I felt the need for a change and this prospect excites me.

I have little sales experience, but supreme self-confidence, drive and work ethic. I am a natural speaker and teacher. I know, without a doubt, that I can be successful in this business. I am old enough to be skeptical about the claims made by some insurance companies, but young enough to still be excited by the possibilities!

My wife is a seasoned veteran at the sales game, with years of experience in various types of sales and currently running a successful Pampered Chef business. I will be leaning on her knowledge and experience as I start my new career.

We will be moving back home to Austin, Texas after my layoff and that is where I will be launching my career.

My questions for the board:
    * Should I wait until getting to Austin to start seeking a license? I have about 60-70 days left in Virginia and may be able to get one before I leave.
    * Any suggestions on how to start my career in Austin? I have read that captive agents have training advantages but independent agents really love their freedom.
    * Any companies or individuals in the Austin area I should look for? Or keep away from?

I appreciate any responses!

Like I said, I am confident in myself but I also know that I am in for a tough time the first year (maybe more, maybe less). I love hard work, especially when it is rewarding. I just know in my heart that this is what I am going to do for the next 20-30 years. Any advice would be appreciated!

:cool:

2. Mark

Mark Guru

State:
    Georgia
    Bottom line is that you will to find someone to show you how to be successful in the insurance business.

You will find many sources on the forum to answer a lot of your questions.

Insurance Agent Forum - Page Not Found <--- Click Here

Here is just one post that I think can help you.

Mark, Dec 25, 2008
  3. CHUMPS FROM OXFORD

CHUMPS FROM OXFORD Guru

State:
    Ohio
    Hi Mike

You articulate well and seem well-organized with your thoughts.

Any time you need some unbiased advice or information, please feel free to email or PM.

Chumps

4. GreenSky

GreenSky Guru

State:
    Nevada
    I'm extremely biased but you can also contact me!

Rick

GreenSky, Dec 25, 2008
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm available as well, but with my reputation on this board you probably want to meet me at THIS parking garage in Virginia.

[​IMG]

in spot 32D.

[​IMG]

Most of you are too young to know what I'm talking about... but a few of you will.

I once went there with some friends just to see it. We smoked a joint in celebration.

Al

Guest, Dec 25, 2008
  6. kromedome

kromedome New Member

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season!

Thanks for the kind words Chumps. Also, thanks for the offers of advice, everyone. I will be sure to use it.

Al3, I'm afraid "Deep Throat" has different connotations across different generations. Before I meet you in a secluded parking garage, we need to agree on definitions!
    :D

Seriously, I did not know about that place, but it seems to me like it should have some type of historical significance and should be recognized officially.

7. CPACINS

CPACINS Super Genius

State:
    Utah
    Welcome krome! I believe you will find this forum to be a great resource. Good luck on your career!

CPACINS, Dec 29, 2008
  8. tryan326

tryan326 Super Genius

Hey kromedome,

Since you have a few months left in VA. I would say that this is a good time to starting figuring things out like, what lines you want to sell and maybe even go ahead and get licensed. For a newbie, I usually recommend going captive or finding an agent to take you under their wing until you can get the hang of things.

tryan326, Dec 30, 2008