Hello from Virginia!

kromedome

Hello everyone!

My name is Mike and I will soon be jumping with both feet into the insurance industry.

I have thought about this for a long time but was somewhat secure, if a little unhappy, in a job in the semiconductor manufacturing industry. I have spent about 15 years in that industry as an equipment technician, repairing robots and other electronics. I had avoided the layoffs that the industry is so famous for until now. I will be let go in February. Fear not! I am quite happy with the turn of events. I am in my late 30s, have a wonderful family and a comfortable life (for now). I have much to be thankful for!

Having pondered my fate (layoff) since finding out about it in November, I have decided to not pursue another electronics technician job (even though I am good at it) and have decided to take the risk involved in starting over in a new industry. I felt the need for a change and this prospect excites me.

I have little sales experience, but supreme self-confidence, drive and work ethic. I am a natural speaker and teacher. I know, without a doubt, that I can be successful in this business. I am old enough to be skeptical about the claims made by some insurance companies, but young enough to still be excited by the possibilities!

My wife is a seasoned veteran at the sales game, with years of experience in various types of sales and currently running a successful Pampered Chef business. I will be leaning on her knowledge and experience as I start my new career.

We will be moving back home to Austin, Texas after my layoff and that is where I will be launching my career.

My questions for the board:
* Should I wait until getting to Austin to start seeking a license? I have about 60-70 days left in Virginia and may be able to get one before I leave.
* Any suggestions on how to start my career in Austin? I have read that captive agents have training advantages but independent agents really love their freedom.
* Any companies or individuals in the Austin area I should look for? Or keep away from?

I appreciate any responses!

Like I said, I am confident in myself but I also know that I am in for a tough time the first year (maybe more, maybe less). I love hard work, especially when it is rewarding. I just know in my heart that this is what I am going to do for the next 20-30 years. Any advice would be appreciated!

:cool:

I'm available as well, but with my reputation on this board you probably want to meet me at THIS parking garage in Virginia.

Deep%20Throat%20Garage.jpg

in spot 32D.

deep%20throat%202.JPG

Most of you are too young to know what I'm talking about... but a few of you will.

I once went there with some friends just to see it. We smoked a joint in celebration.

Al

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season!

Thanks for the kind words Chumps. Also, thanks for the offers of advice, everyone. I will be sure to use it.

Al3, I'm afraid "Deep Throat" has different connotations across different generations. Before I meet you in a secluded parking garage, we need to agree on definitions!
:D

Seriously, I did not know about that place, but it seems to me like it should have some type of historical significance and should be recognized officially.

Welcome krome! I believe you will find this forum to be a great resource. Good luck on your career!

Hey kromedome,

Since you have a few months left in VA. I would say that this is a good time to starting figuring things out like, what lines you want to sell and maybe even go ahead and get licensed. For a newbie, I usually recommend going captive or finding an agent to take you under their wing until you can get the hang of things.

Back