Hello! Newly licensed P&C in Louisiana & Arkansas. Wanting all the knowledge I can absorb!

I passed the exam and work as office manager for an indy. Look to one day soon have my own self run agency and would appreciate all the knowledge and advice available. Thanks!!

Congrats on passing the exam, first step done. You're in a good position to gain operational knowledge on running an agency and broadening your insurance, step 2 done. Next I'd suggest researching aggregators, clusters, etc to determine how you'll get your carriers.
You may find the following list, posted by @BADTROUT, helpful when looking for a carrier provider.

1. Do you have a good carrier mix across the lines of business I want to use in my agency?

2. Are those carriers competitive in my region?

3. Do you have any production requirements?

4. Do you provide an agency management system?

5. Do you provide a comparative rater(s)?

6. Do you have a non-compete or non-solicitation if I decide your network isn't for me? If so... why?

7. Do you have any exit fees?

8. Can I sell my agency at some point?

9. If I sell my agency, do you take a cut?

10. HOW do I access the carriers... do I submit everything to you, or do I get DIRECT access to the carrier?

11. How long is my contract for, and do I get ownership right away, or over time?

12. What are the startup fees and are you willing to work with me if I need to make payments?

13. What is the commission rate?

14. What share do I get of the contingency bonuses (If any)?

15. What is the criteria to participation the contingency bonuses (if applicable)?

16. Do you offer guidance and training during the startup phase of my agency and a spirit of mentorship throughout the relationship?

17. Are you open to me contacting some of your member agencies before I sign the contract?

18. May I have an attorney, or third-party consultant review my contract with me?

19. How much industry experience does your network leadership have?

20. I think the MOST important thing someone can do other than reading the contracts of many networks is speak to the owner/CEO/president of each network to get a feel for the culture.

Last edited:
Back